Mysterious elevated BG in evening

canadagoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a problem that's happened tonight, but it could well have happened other nights and I hadn't noticed because I was used to my BG being quite high (12 - 19), but I decided to do something about it today. What happened was, it started off today at 15.4 (about midday), and after having some toast for breakfast (with 12 units of NovoRapid, followed by my daily dose of 32 units of Lantus), it went up to 16.5 (13:26). I thought this was quite normal because I might not have taken enough, but I struggled to get it lower, and I had a banana with some extra insulin for adjustment at about 2pm and this raised it to 17.0. It did gradually fall after that, to 7.7 (16:39), and after having my dinner with 11 units of NovoRapid it was 8.9 (17:25). This went back down to 8.2 at 6pm.

However, 4 hours later it went up to 14.7, and I didn't even eat anything! It even went up to 15.0 half an hour later, still without having eaten anything (and I certainly didn't have any sugary drinks). Was my dinner (bangers and mash) still having an effect that late? :crazy:

Pneu

My first guess would be that your background (Lantus) is incorrect... incorrect background insulin normally causes wild swings in blood glucose and given that your are being effected outside of when your rapid should be active would cause me to check background first.

Have you done any fasting or no-carb day tests to see if your blood glucose remains stable with just your Lantus?

canadagoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pneu said:
My first guess would be that your background (Lantus) is incorrect... incorrect background insulin normally causes wild swings in blood glucose and given that your are being effected outside of when your rapid should be active would cause me to check background first.

Have you done any fasting or no-carb day tests to see if your blood glucose remains stable with just your Lantus?
Hi,
when you say my background Lantus is incorrect, do you mean it's too high or too low?
I haven't done any fasting or no-carb tests, no - I've got a heck of an appetite at the moment (I think it's the migraine medication I'm on) so it'd be really difficult!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your levels are going up between meals (after about 4-5 hours) and goes up overnight then your lantus is too low. Try to eat about 4-5 hours before bedtime, take a BG reading before bed and when you get up. If your levels go up then you need more Lantus, the opposite if they go down.

In Gary Scheiner's Think Like a Pancreas he says if your levels change by 1.7 mmol/l you should change your basal by 10%.