1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need advice on sweetener please help.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Sad21+, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Sad21+

Sad21+ · Well-Known Member

Hello this question is regarding sweeteners. My mum was diagnosed with type two diabetes last December. Which completely broke me. What's worse being her carer her being carer is a reflection on me, and how I failed. I'm doing all I can to put her in remission. Until then please god, I'm finding myself in so many issues and constantly shopping researching,reading and watching videos.

I saw a video about sweeteners and to avoid those that contain MALTODEXTRIN. Something told me to check and her sweetner has it. I was floored. I'm currently using Canderel. This was in the chemist in the diabetes section. I read it was diabetic friendly.

I'm so overwhelmed and anxious. I have so much food that we cannot use and I'm getting paranoid. Could any of you please advice me what sweetners is appriopriate and what I should avoid.Please and thank you. Sorry for long comment.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here is a good indepth article from this site that should give you some reliable information
    Nutritive and Non-nutritive Sweeteners (diabetes.co.uk)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sad21+

Thank you for this. Much appreciated I read this before and still left me so conflicted. I'm going to re read this when I'm less stressed and distracted. Thank you.

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sad21+

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook