Need Help

ScottGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Apologies for the rant…

Been type 2 for 20+ years and controlled by tablets.

Been on Rybelsus (GLP-1) for a while and my numbers have been well controlled.

Now it’s no longer available on the NHS as the stock has been diverted to private chemists for sale as a weight loss drug.

My nurse has now said that I need to go on insulin and I’m scared, deflated but mostly angry!

Why should drugs be licensed for private prescriptions but denied for NHS patients

Just want to go to sleep and never wake up

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @ScottGC,

I agree it seems very unfair and lots of people are going through this at the moment and are worried and scared, hopefully our forum members can help you with that :)

It would help if you could give as much info as possible such as do you test with your own meter if so what are your numbers like?
What was your last HbA1c?
What’s your diet like? Many T2s on the forum control their diabetes by eating a low carb or keto diet.
What’s the current meds you are on for your diabetes?

Maybe if you could tweak your diet a bit and reduce some carbs to bring your BG down you may be able to avoid insulin

Try not to worry and get stressed as that not great for you either

ScottGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum @ScottGC,

I agree it seems very unfair and lots of people are going through this at the moment and are worried and scared, hopefully our forum members can help you with that :)

It would help if you could give as much info as possible such as do you test with your own meter if so what are your numbers like?
What was your last HbA1c?
What’s your diet like? Many T2s on the forum control their diabetes by eating a low carb or keto diet.
What’s the current meds you are on for your diabetes?

Maybe if you could tweak your diet a bit and reduce some carbs to bring your BG down you may be able to avoid insulin

Try not to worry and get stressed as that not great for you either

Last HBa1C was 61

I’ve tried for 20+ years to control my diet and lose weight and tried every diet / healthy eating plan available.

Really feel like I’m at the end of my tether today. What’s the point? This disease is going to kill me anyway…

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Whatever the outcome of talks with your nurse cutting carbs a little (more?) may help.
While T2 diabetes was seen as a progressive disease in the past it is possible to live a healthy life with it and hopefully avoid all the complications.

I tried other diets for years, yoyoing up and down but unlike those I've managed to stay low carb for over 5 years now. I thought hard about my favourite foods and found low carb replacements for many of them. And I celebrated being able to eat foods banned on low calorie diets.
I have low carb treats in my freezer for the more stressful days such as low carb cake or sugar free icecream. Would those help you?