need some advice!

minnieminx

hi my husband is type 1 on a pump. he's been diabetic since age 15 and is now 32, we have twin girls age 5. his main problem has always been hypos and doesn't have good awareness, although this has improved from a couple of years ago. occasionally he can get aggressive whilst hypo which is really scary. the problem now is that our girls have witnessed this behaviour. we had an incident a couple of weeks ago when he was threatening to smash my face in, shouting etc etc, i had to put the girls in the back of the car and had to sit in the driver's seat to stop him attempting to drive. i now daren't leave them with him alone and one of our girls in particular has really been affected by it. im not sure what i can do. he seems to think it would be fine for him to be alone with them for any amount of time and can't see why im not ok with it. how can i trust him?

BobCornelius

Hi minnieminx, and welcome!

I can see your dilemna!

Your husband is a lucky guy to have someone who understands his condition, and well done you for seeking advice!

If your hubby is experiencing regular hypos on a pump, I would think the pump settings need tweaking to reduce this! Can you get an appt with his DSN or Rep from pump company to discuss this with?

Have you talked to hubby about your fears, so he does not think you are 'alienating' him from your twins?

It sounds like a difficult situation, but one that you CAN get through!

:)

Bob