Neuropathy ???

steve3756

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all , This is my first post here , so here goes ...I am T2 for nearly 10 years ..It has been pretty well controlled..my HBa1C is 7.5 cholesterol about 5 ( I react badly to anti cholesterol drugs)..Since i was diagnosed i have had some form of neuropaphy severe burning in my feet at night, which lead to my diagnoses so how long I was T2 before that is not known ...this subsided once my BG's where brought under control ..This has reappeared as a very severe itch and feels like my feet are being pricked with hot needles, this borders on painful and is leading to disturbed sleep ...is there any treatment for this either by myself or medication ..so far all i can do is continually rubbing my feet on a rough surface if in the soles or hard scratching and rubbing if on the toes or sides ..attacks can last up to 30 minutes at a time sometimes much longer ...any advice please ...thanks ..Steve

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi Steve

What is your BMI first up?

First suggestion is to do foot exercises (try standing on the balls of our feet, raise the heels and do that for 10 or more minutes throughout the day) and see how that goes. Good shoes are critical as well as is exercise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. You need to go to your GP and show him your feet, so you can be referred on if needed. Best not to leave it as it's always best to get early treatment for any medical problems. Good luck.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, I should have added that too :) Good advice RRB :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep, I should have added that too :) Good advice RRB :)

Morning Mike, hopefully it will just be the case of some extra care needed for OP, but I've read and seen, some not so nice foot conditions.

RRB :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Steve, welcome, if you are reacting badly to statins and your total cholesterol is 5 I would be asking about coming off them. Do you know what your cholesterol (lipid) breakdown is - LDL, HDL, triglycerides?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Morning Mike, hopefully it will just be the case of some extra care needed for OP, but I've read and seen, some not so nice foot conditions.

RRB :)
Hi Robin

Yep, dead right .... one thing to suggest exercise, quite another to seek further guidance. My dumb :)

Mike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Robin

Yep, dead right .... one thing to suggest exercise, quite another to seek further guidance. My dumb :)

Mike

I'm sure all the advice will be helpful to the OP, that's what's great about the forum :) OP's condition could be a number of things, so Iets hope he can get some relief soon. RRB :)

steve3756

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all ...I have been to see my GP today and he has put me on amitriptylene 10mg 1 or 2 at night ..he checked my BG which was ok as well ..he didn't check anything else ...Now to answer a few questions asked .my BMI is about 30-32 ...I walk approx 3 + mles a day just at work and have to wear heavy steel toed safety shoes . I have also had probs with my eyes which i was told may or not be linked directly to diabetes a condition called Anterior Ischemic optic Neuropaphy... apart from that i am reasonably healthy ...

whoops a edit ..I have just read the contradictions on this drug amitriptylene Its a anti depressant ..I been on some of them them before ..I hate them ..bad symptoms and feelings silly thoughts etc and when i got fed up and tried to come off them hallucinations not going down that road again .plus .i am surprised my doctor didn't pick it up I cant take it physically it say if you suffer from water problems or have a enlarged prostate consult you pharmacy or doctor well i do ...and more worryingly it may cause drowsiness i drive vans and forklift trucks ...i can't take the risk and also avoid alcohol ..well that is my one naughty vice ..i like a occasional drink ....I think i will look for a alternative....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks all ...I have been to see my GP today and he has put me on amitriptylene 10mg 1 or 2 at night ..he checked my BG which was ok as well ..he didn't check anything else ...Now to answer a few questions asked .my BMI is about 30-32 ...I walk approx 3 + mles a day just at work and have to wear heavy steel toed safety shoes . I have also had probs with my eyes which i was told may or not be linked directly to diabetes a condition called Anterior Ischemic optic Neuropaphy... apart from that i am reasonably healthy ...

whoops a edit ..I have just read the contradictions on this drug amitriptylene Its a anti depressant ..I been on some of them them before ..I hate them ..bad symptoms and feelings silly thoughts etc and when i got fed up and tried to come off them hallucinations not going down that road again .plus .i am surprised my doctor didn't pick it up I cant take it physically it say if you suffer from water problems or have a enlarged prostate consult you pharmacy or doctor well i do ...and more worryingly it may cause drowsiness i drive vans and forklift trucks ...i can't take the risk and also avoid alcohol ..well that is my one naughty vice ..i like a occasional drink ....I think i will look for a alternative....
Hi steve, just a word of caution ,neuropathy in the foot.....do not take hot baths ! This will inflame the nerve endings and cause more pain, just blood temp' is best, and get some very good quality socks , cheers ::))

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi, amitriptylene is also used for pain relief, which includes nerve pain. It was suggested to me to take for something to do with nerve damage, but stronger pain killers tend to make me quite ill, so I didn't have it.
Good luck and I hope you can get some relief soon.

RRB

steve3756

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have several drug intolerances so i need to be careful including anti cholesterol drugs anti- inflammatory's and have had bad experiences with anti depressants ..... I have some co-codamol 30 mg/500mg will try them instead ..

denbo

I have several drug intolerances so i need to be careful including anti cholesterol drugs anti- inflammatory's and have had bad experiences with anti depressants ..... I have some co-codamol 30 mg/500mg will try them instead ..
I av neuropathy I av been a diabetic for 13 yrs and my feet were killing me I take co codomol 30mg /500 can't stand the quilt on me feet but I went to see healer and tney weren't too bad after tha also I take gapbepentin

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Steve I've been taking 30mg of amitriptylene since 2011 (before I was diabetic). I was prescribed it for extreme pain. I started on 10mg per day (taken at night before bed), and the dose was increased slowly. I was taking 40mg at one point but was getting palpitations, I thought I was having a heart attack at one point, my doctor reduced the dose to 30mg. The leaflet says that it can be used to treat diabetic neuropathy. It also says that one of the side effects of the tablet is that it can increase or decrease your blood sugar. I was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I tried to reduce the Amitriptylene but my pain returned, and also I started to get stabbing pains in my feet (same as how you described). I resumed my 30mg dose (July last year) and the neuropathy disappeared. A couple of weeks ago I did have stabbing pains in my feet for a couple of days, but nothing since. I do drive and the tablets don't cause me any problems with this. I do find it a bit harder to get up in the mornings for work though, but I was never really a morning person to start with.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all , This is my first post here , so here goes ...I am T2 for nearly 10 years ..It has been pretty well controlled..my HBa1C is 7.5 cholesterol about 5 ( I react badly to anti cholesterol drugs)..Since i was diagnosed i have had some form of neuropaphy severe burning in my feet at night, which lead to my diagnoses so how long I was T2 before that is not known ...this subsided once my BG's where brought under control ..This has reappeared as a very severe itch and feels like my feet are being pricked with hot needles, this borders on painful and is leading to disturbed sleep ...is there any treatment for this either by myself or medication ..so far all i can do is continually rubbing my feet on a rough surface if in the soles or hard scratching and rubbing if on the toes or sides ..attacks can last up to 30 minutes at a time sometimes much longer ...any advice please ...thanks ..Steve
Hi steve, my A1c on diagnosis was 7.5%, so I think I would try to get it lower to try and resolve your symptoms..
I went on a LCHF diet, metformin and lost 13kg and got my BG down to 5.4%
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

cholesterol

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
i have had intermittent n sometimes pretty bad neuropathy in my feet...It doesn't necessarily eradicate it, but I notice, if I clean diet up, nothing manufactured, just meat, veg, fish etc that it tends to go away for the most part...although i can still get very short lasting stabbing pains here and there (in my foot and toes)

The nurse just checks for blood supply to the foot and always seems pretty happy when she finds that to be good...Sometimes it feels like my feet have been pumped up on the underside, along with weird numbing sensation of hot pins and needles but like I say, when i'm being good, it does soon after start to subside

Just relaying my experience of it

steve3756

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have had intermittent n sometimes pretty bad neuropathy in my feet...It doesn't necessarily eradicate it, but I notice, if I clean diet up, nothing manufactured, just meat, veg, fish etc that it tends to go away for the most part...although i can still get very short lasting stabbing pains here and there (in my foot and toes)

The nurse just checks for blood supply to the foot and always seems pretty happy when she finds that to be good...Sometimes it feels like my feet have been pumped up on the underside, along with weird numbing sensation of hot pins and needles but like I say, when i'm being good, it does soon after start to subside

Hi Dazzer .....You have described exactly mu experiences with Neuropathy even down to the 'pumped up feeling' ..so far my nurse checks for blood flow and also sensitivity with the the pastry brush ....However i have now been taking co-codamol for 3 nights and i have not had a attack , I had forgotton what a good nights sleep was like ....but we will have to see how thing go ..I just hope it lasts

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
you know, i've never even thought to take pain killers during bouts of neuropathy pain, good idea and glad it is relieving the pain.

I will try myself if/when it kicks off again...of course though, if looking after yourself provides improvements, then that would be the better course...but we are human I suppose lol

All the best with it

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think low carb is medicine for diabetes, similar to chemotherapy is to cancer ..take your food medicine and others if needed