New here...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First posting as a way of introduction after lurking for sometime, just trying to see the lie of the land.
56ish, scot living in Fife, working in Dundee as scientist in a drug testing firm. Diagnosed as T2 in late March 14, 7.6 and 7.1 blood glucose and then 48 on the HbAc1. Went to see my GP not long afterwards but really didn't talk too much about the diagnosis... have some issues with irregular heart beats and cholesterol... main thing there was coming off statins as my liver function was not great... and line a blood test in 6 weeks time.
Yesterday I had my first Retinopathy screen, which was fine and next tuesday off to see the Dietitian.
Since my diagnosis I've changed my eating habits, a lot less bread, rice and pasta and not touched biscuits, cakes and sweets. Rice and bread are pretty big ones for me... Rice since a young boy growing up the Middle east and Bread, after many years of trying finally cracked sourdoughs... I've always done the cooking, my pressure release. I've started going for 40 min walks at lunch time and am feeling fitter for it and have lost some weight, not lots as still pretty early stages.
I'll be interested to hear what the dietitian says as it seems clear to me advice is conflicted on low cal / low carb, is fruit good or bad.. at the moment I'm just reducing how much I eat and seeing what happens in my next HbAc1 test...
Testing: really not quite got with the idea yet, so looking for advice and reading suggestions.
As a lurker I've been impressed with the support given to one another, this does auger well as it's going to be tough old road.
Sorry if this has rambled a bit, been thinking about this note for sometime and just sat down and wrote, without really planning it.
and my other recently developed cooking skill.... making chocolates.... Juniper chocolates are just lovely.... arrghhh....
My best wishes to all around here.
Aj

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome! Looks like you have your head screwed on. :)