New meter

Jane14400

Evening all,

confused. Upon “your” suggestion, I purchased a blood glucose meter which arrived today, so before my dinner I did my first test and it came out at 5.1. Not knowing what that number really means, I googled it. According to google, that is. Ot even at pre-diabetic range?!?!?! Did my nurse get it wrong, or can blood sugars vary wildly. I just had my dinner of grilled fish and veg, so I think I test again in 2hrs? I shall set my alarm, but surely this figure is to low?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 is fine as a pre meal test.
The units on the meter are different to hba1c units.
Someone will be along with a converter soon I'm sure...

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c is 29.1 or 4.8% so very good. Apologies, this is just a converter to show a snapshot and does not represent the actual HbA1c over any specific period. It's just where you are at the time of the test strip.
upload_2021-2-8_21-31-13.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The purpose of a meter is to test the foods you are eating. To help you eliminate foods that are not good for you personally. 2 hours after eating, your rise should be nooo more than 2. One reading is meaningless. Download the free version of the mysugr app and record your readings and foods.

Reactions: ontherun

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jane14400
So now you see what we recommend a meter. Your pre reading is good because you have already cut down carbs so are at a good point AT THAT MOMENT in time. Your fish meal should be OK and give a rise of less than 7.1 (ie 5.1 plus 2) at the 2 hour point.
But, if another day you test at 5.1 before eating, then have a fairy cake (like I did on ve day celebrations back in summer) you might see a rise to say 12 or 14 which are way over the safe point of 8.5.
As you can imagine, repeated high readings are what do the damage, and it doesn't take many carbs to get those readings high.
The good news is is easy (ish) to get them down simply by reducing carbs