New to forum - pre-diabetic and struggling to make dietary changes

CTG

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since doing the Zoe programme I discovered that my blood glucose is very up and down. I’ve seen the practice nurse at the surgery but am not considered bad enough for any treatment and wasn’t given much advice. I use a Freestyle Libre glucose monitor every now and then and since lapsing in my efforts at healthy eating my readings aren’t good. Currently my estimated AIC is 5.5% or 37 mmol/mol, my average blood glucose is 6.3 but after eating even moderate amount of carbohydrates it frequently goes up to 9 or 10 - occasionally over 10. The worst culprits seem to be pasta, bread, potatoes and rice - even more so than desserts. I have to admit that I am a comfort eater and have a bmi of 34 despite having lost 1.5 stone doing the Zoe programme.

I suppose what I‘m looking for here is support and advice. I already have health issues (I had Sarcoidosis and have never been the same since, I am also hypothyroid and on medication for that and have high blood pressure -also medicated. I’m nearly 68 and mindful of my mortality! I’d like to stick around a bit longer but maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a challenge.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @CTG
I always tell people that the whole point of testing for someone not on insulin or other hypo inducing drugs, is to discover what in your diet is causing your higher levels.
So you have done that, all you have to do now is use that information to improve your blood sugar control.
You are not alone in enjoying your food and I think most of us use food as a pick me up when we're a little down.
But we all have a choice, no one forces the bread or pasta on us and if we don't change something, nothing changes.
There is lots of delicious food that won't cause high sugar levels, we just have to find new comfort foods that are not as damaging.
Have a look at the link for the nutritional thingy below my post

CTG

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @CTG
I always tell people that the whole point of testing for someone not on insulin or other hypo inducing drugs, is to discover what in your diet is causing your higher levels.
So you have done that, all you have to do now is use that information to improve your blood sugar control.
You are not alone in enjoying your food and I think most of us use food as a pick me up when we're a little down.
But we all have a choice, no one forces the bread or pasta on us and if we don't change something, nothing changes.
There is lots of delicious food that won't cause high sugar levels, we just have to find new comfort foods that are not as damaging.
Have a look at the link for the nutritional thingy below my post

Thanks, the link isn’t appearing on my iPad.

Reactions: catinahat