New to insulin, questions

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am relatively new as an insulin dependent diabetic. I give myself 24 units of Abasaglar(Glargibe) slow release and usually 25 Humalog (short release) most mornings. Then usually 2 more injections, one at lunch and one dinner. I will then check my bloods before bed and give myself a small dose in an attempt to be around 10 overnight. Most times this works, I don't have hypos but it does concern me as my glucose bloods are just above 10 on average. I'm still trying to learn so generally using Ali release overnight is this better usually?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most times this works, I don't have hypos but it does concern me as my glucose bloods are just above 10 on average. I'm still trying to learn so generally using Ali release overnight is this better usually?
Hi @AdrianMilligan , welcome to the forum.

Are you having regular contact with your diabetes nurse to adjust your doses?
Some people take abasaglar in the morning, some in the evening, and some split their dose morning and evening.
It's all about finding out what works best for you and this takes time.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have troubles these days with running high overnight, it's much easier/less stressful to take some short acting well before bed so you have some confidence that you won't go low.

I used to find that taking all of my abasaglar pre-bed would make me run low overnight, which is part of why I split the dose, but YMMV.

If your levels are stable overnight, even if they are too high for your liking, then you basal (abasaglar) is likely correct and you likely need to take more short acting to cover your evening meal and bring your levels down before the effect of that insulin has worn off.

As @Antje77 said, have a chat with your team, but equally don't feel you need to do what they say (am I allowed to say that - be polite about it of course but you will end up knowing more about it than they do!), you've got to live with it and taking control of dosage changes is part of that,

[What I actually need to do (as I would prefer to keep the split dose for flexibility when doing sports) is to try to eat supper earlier and also ensure my blood glucose is stable beforehand.]