1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New to insulin

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by LynW1234, Mar 20, 2021.

1. LynW1234

LynW1234 · Newbie

New to taking insulin but not diabetes I've been put on 8 units of Humalin 1 twice a day. BG level on Wednesday begore Insulin was 23.3, astronomically high, BG level before breakfast today 7.6. Am worried it will keep dropping. Does it work that quick? Have a call with DN on monday so will ask then but thought I'd ask here to people that have been in the same situation maybe. Thanks

2. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I've been on the same insulin for several years now and was told to ensure the number before bed was around 8.5 which considering it should be lower than this 2 hours after eating always seem strange to me. However mine is usually lower nowadays but if you test late evening you can always eat something like a piece of toast if you feel that would give you confidence until you check with the DN on Monday. Keep your test kit by the bed and something for a quick carb fix in the unlikely event its needed - few jelly babies maybe.
    I used to have 8 at night and 4 in the morning but as I live alone now have moved this around for a few months so I know I am unlikely to go very low overnight.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook