Newbie with high blood sugar levels

C64

Hi All,
I live in the UK and was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in May last year and have managed (mostly) to get my blood sugar between 7.8 and 10
but after I had the Flu jab a few weeks ago my morning readings are 16-18? I have been a bit naughty food and drink wise over Christmas. I also need some advice for Diabetic friendly Breakfast recipes (Cereals and Porridge Oats are a minefield as they all seem to be high carb or have added sugar??? Given my short journey with this Disease, I have decided to Drink very little alcohol (I have been a big drinker in the past) to exercise every day and to eat a low carb diet - is this the right approach??? Any advice is much appreciated please - thanks
Derek
ps Just wanted to let others know that because my morning readings are high, after drinking a little water, I have been getting on an exercise bike and after just 10 mins my readings lower by 4! - Please be careful as I understand that some peoples readings can go up after exercise!!!

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @C64 and welcome

Given my short journey with this Disease, I have decided to Drink very little alcohol (I have been a big drinker in the past) to exercise every day and to eat a low carb diet - is this the right approach???
Sounds like a very good approach to me. What you eat will have the single biggest impact on your blood sugars. Exercise has many health benefits. So far as alcohol goes, I’m teetotal, but many on here include wine or spirits in a low carb way of eating.
I also need some advice for Diabetic friendly Breakfast recipes (Cereals and Porridge Oats are a minefield as they all seem to be high carb or have added sugar???
Anything egg based would be good. If you need something to grab and go, try making a crust less frittata which can be portioned up and reheated. You could also have a look at www.dietdoctor.com - loads of recipes on there.