sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the wonderfully confusing world of type 2 tubolard! If you have been reading this forum you will know that a lot of us follow a low carb regime,some follow a lowish diet others follow a low carb diet.You have to find what will work for you.If you are away all day do you make your own food to take with you or do you eat out? I suggest you get something like the Collins carb counter which is small enough for a pocket so you can work out a rough carb guide when eating out.Commercially produced sandwiches usually have an ingredients guide on them but sandwiches bought fresh from bakers etc don't so a knowledge of ingredients come in handy!When have you been advised to take your Metformin?I know a lot of people take it with their main meal of the day,talk to your doctor/nurse about timing of dosage when you are away all day and maybe don't eat at set times.Above all ask us questions,there's always some one with an answer!

sofaraway

I think you must have a pretty good GP and nurse, since they have given you a meter and test strips and actually want you to test. you'll see from this forum that alot of type 2's are denied this.
It can take a few weeks for medications to start working, so hopefully you should see a reduction in your numbers.
there is plenty of diet advice here for type 2's, many find that lowering the amount carb works for them. have you been offered a dietician appoitnment?

Graham55

Hi Tuboflard and wecome to our world.
You will be doing a lot of reading just make sure its from this site or if i may say Diabetes uk, these two sites realy know what its about and could not be more helpfull.
Even the people in the fourem are very experanced with there diabetes, a case of bin there done that.
You have a road to travel at first it will have a few bumps but with knoledge comes control.
I have learnt so much since last sepember like ordering diet coke in a pub, DONT, what you get is whats in the pipe then the diet coke made my numbers rocket to 30, ALWAYS ask for a bottle of diet whatever you then know what your getting.

Another trick i tried with sucsess if you can afford it buy your own meter and strips and test before and after you eat anything that way you learn what does what to your numbers.

Dont trust to luck, ask, there is plenty of help on hear and there are some realy nice people in hear.
DONT think oh its a stupid question, we all started once

sofaraway

forgot to say see if you can be referred to go on a course called DESMOND (dunno what it actually stands for) but it's a group taught education for people with type 2 diabetes. Your GP should know if there is a course avalibale in your area