Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.. I first off need to say that I have been lurking for the last two weeks and without all of your knowledge I know that I would feel completely lost right now. This site is amazing, so thank you for your continued posts people. :)

Approximately 1.5 months ago I began suffering textbook symptoms of diabetes, this was confirmed November 3 when my results came back with a fasting number of 17.5. I am currently on 2000mg of Metformin, 5mg of Onglyza and I am now trying to find the correct dosage of Lantus. I could not get my number down without literally starving myself, the lantus seems to have worked miracles in 48 hours. I know longer want to throw my meter after eating, which has reduced stress incredibly.

I am sure later today I will have a question or 1000 for you all, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Sandra

C

catherinecherub

Hello @Cherryred and a warm welcome to the forum.
Look forward to your interactions with other members and remember that no question is silly as if we do not ask then we will never know.;)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @Cherryred and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.. I first off need to say that I have been lurking for the last two weeks and without all of your knowledge I know that I would feel completely lost right now. This site is amazing, so thank you for your continued posts people. :)

Approximately 1.5 months ago I began suffering textbook symptoms of diabetes, this was confirmed November 3 when my results came back with a fasting number of 17.5. I am currently on 2000mg of Metformin, 5mg of Onglyza and I am now trying to find the correct dosage of Lantus. I could not get my number down without literally starving myself, the lantus seems to have worked miracles in 48 hours. I know longer want to throw my meter after eating, which has reduced stress incredibly.

I am sure later today I will have a question or 1000 for you all, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Sandra
Hey Sandra, welcome welcome (oh dear doesn't Effie say that in Hunger Games?). We are all just real individuals with diabetes and we can exchange our experiences, and all that detailed experience is so much more helpful than any advice I've ever received from a doctor. So just say it, and people will get back to you.

Are you wondering whether you're still in a honeymoon ? It sounds as if it's come on fast - remember that it is such a shock to be diagnosed with diabetes that it will actually take you a number of months just to begin to get your head around it. So be patient.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Sandra
Welcome to the forum. As others have said, a great place to learn from others experience.

As you have posted under the LADA section I take it you have been diagnosed T1 / LADA / honeymoon.

I am the same. Diagnosed T2 sept last year then T1 / LADA in December aged 58. Many of us on here have found a low carb diet helps keep blood sugar levels low / under control. Through low carb I am managing without insulin or meds. If you low carb you will almost certainly be able to keep your insulin to a minimum, and probably keep what remaining insulin making beta cells you have for longer. Keep trolling and learning.

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the welcome.

I believe my doctor had the feeling I had LADA right away, I was gestational with my pregnancy way back in 2001 and I have Hashimotos. I am not overweight and I do exercise, or at least I did until this hit me...it really knocked me off my feet, I could barely make it through the day, I wanted to nap under my desk...absolutely zero productivity, I used all my energy faking it to look like I was working as I couldn't see.

Fast forward and I feel SO much better, do you think the insulin can work that fast? 48 hours and my head is relatively clear. I am nervous having a bs of 5.8 and going to bed, do you think it goes lower in the night and then the liver dumps the glucose giving me 8.8 and a killer headache in the morning?

Sandra

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandra,

Yes, your higher BS on waking could be the Dawn Phenomenon. Or it could just be that you need a slightly higher dose of basal.

Reading: on the DP, try this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/

And on finding out what level of basal is good for you, try this article by Gary Scheiner : http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/insulin/getting_down_to_basals/all/

In fact I recommend you get his book, Think Like a a Pancreas. It's very good, v detailed advice on the ins and outs of insulin management. As you probably already know, the basal insulin (which controls your between-meal, baseline BS levels) is absolutely key. The rapid-acting insulin to cover what you eat gets added on later if you need it. So record all your BS levels and what you eat, exercise etc and then try once a week to find trends.

And yes, insulin probably can make you feel that much better, because high BS (I've had them this week) make you feel totally awful.

Once the new Freestyle Libre has settled down and been de-bugged a bit it will be great for revealing what goes on overnight, but I would wait a few months. I have one but it can be very frustrating. It costs about £50 for a two-week sensor, but you can stop using the sensors and then start again any time.

Lucy

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Welcome to the forum Sandra :)

Best wishes RRB

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
PS your eyes will settle down in six weeks or so. Till then you'll probably have super-amazing long sight. I had to sit six feet back from my computer.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandra! Welcome. When I went on insulin, my BG fell almost instantly and I felt a 100 times better overnight - it was miraculous. High BG makes me feel lethargic and very low and weepy; the insulin fixed that within two doses.

It's difficult to know what's going on with your BG overnight. A 5ish BG before bed is a little low until you figure out what's happening. However, I'd strongly suspect your BG starts rising in the early hours so you are waking with a higher reading. Try setting your alarm for about 2.30am and test to see if it's starting to rise or fall. The other thing is that it is early days for you and I found that my insulin requirements dropped quickly in the first week as my pancreas enjoyed the help the injected insulin was bringing and decided to start working almost normally again for a while. So be prepared to backtrack on your doses if you start going low.

Smidge

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Another question...

I am experiencing waves of feeling almost like anxiety combined with shakiness, very unstable and almost floating. When I test I am in the 5's, which is normal range for the guidelines I was given. Do you advise I just push through these episodes and my body will eventually adapt? I know that right now that is the last thing I want to do, so I eat and sit down until the feeling of normal comes back.

Does this make sense?

Sandra

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Continued...I just read about false hypos, which I guess this is combined with me trying to figure out this low carb eating. I am starving within 2 hours of eating, add in running around with life and I NEED to eat every 2 hours, get in my way and look out. :woot:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
If you are still eating carbs, this anxiety / shakiness may be because your BG have fallen fairly rapidly, eg maybe an hour or two beforehand you were in the 7s..... I used to find this until I started testing 1hr AND 2hrs after meals.... It often occurred when I needed to pee more than usual..... I no longer get this now I am low carbing, this because eating no longer makes my BG levels go above about 1point higher than pre meal levels. If you are feeling hungry every two hours try eating some fatty foods. Fatty foods sustain you longer. I now never get hungry between meals. My diet is very high fat and very low carb