Newby

Neet01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I've recently begun taking Metformin, just one with evening meal, but after about 2 or 3 days I started feeling dizzy. I'm very lightheaded now, but not dizzy, and really just want to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem when starting their treatment? I think I shall stop taking the tablet and see if I feel better and less like a zombie!

Reactions: Mo R

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you discussed other options with your Diabetic team?
I've never tried it myself but I know some do better by switching to a different type of Metformin.
Also, have you made changes to your diet - I do know that switching from my old diet to low carb caused 'keto flu' for a few days and I also felt like I was experiencing hypos even though I couldn't be in the early weeks.
My body was so used to running high it thought a normal blood sugar was too low. I had a meter so I just tested every time I felt too low and found it was fine. So a coffee or a lie down until I felt OK for the first month after which I was fine.

Mo R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Welcome..
Yes, I've had the same issues since starting my meds. I wasn't made aware of sideffects, but have had these confirmed by Gp since i queried them.

Mine have improved over last week, after 3 1/2 weeks on them.
I was also told if you've reduced your sugar, carb intake, its also due to body realigning the changes and it takes time for our bodies to readjust..

If you have concerns, check with your Gp, DBNurse, sure they'll help.

Best of luck..

Neet01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Welcome..
Yes, I've had the same issues since starting my meds. I wasn't made aware of sideffects, but have had these confirmed by Gp since i queried them.

Mine have improved over last week, after 3 1/2 weeks on them.
I was also told if you've reduced your sugar, carb intake, its also due to body realigning the changes and it takes time for our bodies to readjust..

If you have concerns, check with your Gp, DBNurse, sure they'll help.

Best of luck..
Thanks for your advice. I did speak to a GP who thought it wouldn't be Metformin and said I might have Vertigo. I stopped taking the medication for a week and finally felt much better. Am now giving them another try.

Reactions: Mo R