Newcastle Diet, sort of

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess this counts as the Newcastle diet...planning to implement it starting tomorrow, using beans and nonstarchy vegs in lieu of the shakes.

The plan is, 2 cups of beans a day (about 480 calories) plus nonstarchy vegs to bring it up to around 600 calories, though won't be overly vigilent if it goes higher, like to 700 as long as it's with nonstarchy vegs. The reason for this is, I don't want to lose the ability to digest real food, and I want to keep the fiber intake up without resorting to laxatives. Also, I'm hoping it'll ease the transition to higher calorie intake when I'm done. Plenty of water, with all these beans. I'm also hoping it'll stave off the hunger pangs. I tried a more traditional Newcastle diet a little earlier, and was suddenly derailed by overwhelming sense of starvation!

I'm in the category of thin on the outside, fat on the inside, as documented by an abd. ultrasound that showed fatty liver changes. I'm 5'1'' and 94 pounds, and do have a bit of a pot belly, though the rest of me is quite thin, and am small-boned.

I was originally diagnosed as a LADA about 10 years ago, but repeated tests of pancreatic autoantibodies have been negative, plus the above scan, plus having gotten myself off insulin by converting to a vegan diet minus the refined carbs some years ago.

I'm nervous about starting this and am so afraid I'll disappoint myself again by not staying firm and disciplined. My plan is to post regularly (and read others' postings) daily to help keep myself on track.

Anyone else tried anything like this, with beans? How did it work?

Thanks for reading,
Reama

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Reama, I was say try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. However, you will then need to look at a longer term lifestyle even if you shake the fatty liver into submission. At this point so you do not reapply the fat you should seriously consider a Low Carb lifestyle (the number that you consider low is your personal preference)

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Jack and Andrew. I really wish I could do a low carb/high fat plan. I've tried it multiple times in the past (along the lines of Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations for diabetes), and each time, my rheumatoid arthritis tendancy comes back. I have family history of this, and was diagnosed shortly after the diabetes was diagnosed. It (mostly) went away when I changed my diet to vegan. This was about 10 years ago, and about every 2 years, I try meat/fat again, and it comes right back, and takes a couple of months to go away again after I revert to vegan. Scares me a lot when this happens, and I'm afraid that one of these times, it won't go away again. The last time I tried meat was a year ago January. You're right that might blood sugars get a lot better on it (although my HgbA1c's never got as good as I thought they should, based on my fasting and post prandial numbers at home.

I came across this man's writings:

https://www.starch-smart.com/blog/entry/diabetes-what-is-it-what-s-the-risk-what-can-I-do

and

https://starch-smart.com/blog/entry...rney-part-6-glycemic-index-and-attention-span

So, I thought I'd give this a try. I've been under 10% fat now for about 2 weeks, and have noticed some blood sugar improvement, but certainly not as much as I'd like. I've read that fat and more notably, fructose, increases triglycerides, and it's that that promotes insulin resistance. So, I'm ditching anything sweet, basically.

I read through the links you posted, Jack. Thank you for them. I'm hoping that maybe, after I get rid of the belly fat, I'll be able to tolerate the meat and fat without the arthritis...if visceral fat really is inflammatory, like I've read elsewhere, it might be a possibility.

Reama

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
End of day one. Pretty tired, but not particularly hungry. It's turned hot today (87 degrees), so no concern about being cold! Did a lot of exercise.

Reama

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can do veggie low carb high/higher fat..I think it's long term way of eating that's important.
the starvation feelings when you cut carbs last for 2 days and the next week is swapping over to fat burning

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good idea...I watched/listened to Prof. Taylor's talk again last night, and he did say that any method of calorie reduction that you can live with, should work, but he also said the easiest for most folks seems to be the LCHF way.

Reama