Newly Diagnosed and travelling

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed back in February (not so new but compared to others I'm a baby). I will be travelling soon for an immersion program and am just curious on what to expect. Should I get a medical bracelet? How many insulin pens should I pack? Etc. I've already learned the terms for carbs, insulin etc. in the other language. Anything else I should be doing?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A medical bracelet would not be a bad idea at all.

Are you referring to the insulin pens that you can refill with cartridges? I'd go with four; two in use for both insulins and two spare? Spares of everything else you use and the right quantities to see you through the length of time you'll be away.

I don't know where you're going, but if it's around Europe then you should apply for one of these free insurance cards. It will help you avoid any hospital bills in the unfortunate event that you are hospitalised. Diabetes related or not:

https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card

Grant

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A medical bracelet would not be a bad idea at all.

Are you referring to the insulin pens that you can refill with cartridges? I'd go with four; two in use for both insulins and two spare? Spares of everything else you use and the right quantities to see you through the length of time you'll be away.

I don't know where you're going, but if it's around Europe then you should apply for one of these free insurance cards. It will help you avoid any hospital bills in the unfortunate event that you are hospitalised. Diabetes related or not:

https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card

Grant
Thanks for replying. No, I use pre-filled pens. I'm going to South America. Any recommendations for where I should order a medical bracelet from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Bigest problem when travelling is airline food.