Newly diagnosed

aine78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Today I've been diagnosed as type 2 with a hba1c of 49. The GP is happy not to medicate me at the moment and recheck my hba1c in 3 months as I'm making massive changes to my lifestyle in order to lose weight. I'm hoping to reverse the situation. Has anyone on here managed to do so? :)

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Aine78, welcomeyes i have " reversed my t2 but i think that we still need to control it very well and not slip back to the old ways of eating etc....most of the sucessfull posters are lchf and i will ask @daisy1 to give you the info pack for new posters, clive

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @aine78 and welcome to the forum! Your HbAic of 49 isn't too bad. I was 49 on diagnosis at beginning of September, and reduced it to 44 by retest 3 months later. My GP didn't want to put me on medication either (and I didn't want medication) and agreed to try to control the condition by diet and exercise.
I largely followed the advice on this forum about the Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet, and exercised by walking daily. Apart from lowering my HbAic I also lost almost 2 stone.
My GP said my results made her happy. Made me happy too! You can lower your BG level before your retest. There is a lot of good advice and support on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

aine78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, that reassures me. I've seen the nurse today and she referred to it as remission. That as long as I keep a healthy lifestyle my levels will hopefully stay down. I'm mixed emotions at the moment, feel like I'm walking around with a big sign over my head saying "I'm diabetic". I'm thankful I have the chance to rectify it as much as I can, but scared at the same time x

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, it quite possible to do with a good low carb high(er) fat diet and a bit of dedication and will power. When I was first diagnosed my HbA1c was around 60-61 (couple of pre diagnosis tests), and I'd reduced this to 47 within the first 3 months. and it's down in the low 40s since then. I am on metformin, but my diet has been the main reason for my reduction both in glucose levels and in weight. You don't have quite so far to go, so I've no doubt you'll be able to manage a big improvement before your next check up too.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

aine78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, it quite possible to do with a good low carb high(er) fat diet and a bit of dedication and will power. When I was first diagnosed my HbA1c was around 60-61 (couple of pre diagnosis tests), and I'd reduced this to 47 within the first 3 months. and it's down in the low 40s since then. I am on metformin, but my diet has been the main reason for my reduction both in glucose levels and in weight. You don't have quite so far to go, so I've no doubt you'll be able to manage a big improvement before your next check up too.

Robbity
Thank you and well done, it's not easy to do so I'm sure I'll have a few struggles along the way.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you, that reassures me. I've seen the nurse today and she referred to it as remission. That as long as I keep a healthy lifestyle my levels will hopefully stay down. I'm mixed emotions at the moment, feel like I'm walking around with a big sign over my head saying "I'm diabetic". I'm thankful I have the chance to rectify it as much as I can, but scared at the same time x
It does take a bit of time to get your head around it. But you do get used to the necessary changes in eating and lifestyle, and it will become much less scary as you reduce your BG levels as I'm sure you will.