bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
hi all,

I have just been prescribed Gliclazide after problems with metformin.

Metformin worked a treat for me but the side effects meant that my life was spent near to a loo :oops:

Can anyone tell me how well Gliclazide works please ? Does it put weight on you ? I was 14st ten years ago , but for the last 7 years I have gone from 10st 6 to 9st 8.
I have been type 2 for 27 years, however I spent 15 years in denial. i have been on medication for only 3 years.

Thnak you all. :D

Bernie
xxx

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
People differ! With any luck Gliclazide will work well for you, as it does (together with Metformin) for me. It works by forcing your pacreas to produce more insulin, rather than by reducing insulin resistance, which is how metfomin works. The downside of Gliclazide is that it can cause hypos, so you must get into the habit of testing your blood glucose before driving so you can prove you weren't hypo should you be involved in an accident. You should insist that your doctor prescribes enough test strips for you to do this. You must also always carry some glucotabs, or jelly babies, or Lucozade or whatever in case of a hypo. NEVER be without it, just as important for you as for someone with Type 1.
I lost a little weight when I was on Metformin alone, but weight loss stopped when I started on Glic. So you might or might not put on weight... people differ!
Good luck with the new regime; I hope the Glic suits you.

paragliderpete

hi Bernie. I assume that you were on normal Metformin, The usual next step if you have stomach problems is to change to Metformin SR, a slow release form. This usually solves the problem. The reason they use standard metformin or gliclazide is cost, they are very cheap.
If you were getting good results with the metformin, might be worth trying the SR type rather than going down the route of gliclazide, You might have to bend your gp's arm to get them.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate them. I was on slow release metformin but still encountered problems. I was on slow release, I will have to really think about this as I don't want to gain weight.

Thank you once again

xxxx

korfila

Hi,

i am on 40mgs twice a day, no big side-effects , a few hypos, yes take glucose sweets or a hypogel small tube, for emergencies,

On the whole its a good medication,

thanks,
kene,

korfila

There are people that can write holiday reviews, and good food restaurants, idelic places, sunny white sands beaches,
Well while i was on Metformin 500mgs SR, i could write about the TOILETS on holidays, as i was having at least every 2 days, the Metformin RUNS!

kene,