Omnipod patch pump

sw11bloke

I am hopefully going on the Omnipod within the next few weeks. It has been a long upward struggle to get funding from the PCT but after having written to my MP, it looks as though I may be getting the funding.
The PCT does not want to fund the Omnipod as it costs £100 more but my doctors have now said that I will be costing the NHS more than £100 in clinic time and hopefully now with the backing of my MP, I should get funding soon.

Do you have to have your PDF with you at all times? If I went to the pub for a few hours.... would the pdf have to be with me or could I leave it at home and go out for a few hours?

Im interested to hear where guys wear their patches? I have fairly muscular arms and legs. Would it be uncomfortable to wear on these areas?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have an omnipod but I would think that leaving your PDF at home would be a no-no.

With my pump I always carry the remote control even tho I can control it via the pump part that is attached to me because the control part is also my blood sugar monitor. If I'm drinking I definitely test as the effect can be unpredictable.
Furthermore with my pump I have been told to always carry pens with insulin in incase I have a pump failure. I would think you will also be told this. You may also be advised to carry a spare pod and insulin incase a pod gets knocked off.

Hope that helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on the Omnipod for 18 months and often leave the PDM at home if I'm running, playing tennis or at the pub for a drink, never a problem. Because I depend on multiple blood testing though I like to know its near but also use other meters but still not always with me. You'll be fine if you aren't a complete dimwit but you'd never have got the Omnipod if you were.

B3cky83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the Omnipod for the last two months and wouldn't recommend going anywhere without your PDM or a spare pod as you never know what might happen. I have occasionally knocked my pod and had to replace it and have had the odd pod failure. However I absolutely love it and wouldn't go back to injection or want to wear a pump with tubes!!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, forgot about the second part of your question, I wear the pod all over my bod, currently high back, near bra strap but this may not apply to you ! calf is possible , stomach, lower shoulder on back, chest, loads of choice.

sw11bloke

Thank you for the replies...
Would be nice if there was an app on your phone that you could use to administer a bolus if you left your pdm at home! Do you also get a remote control to administer a bolus like with the medtronic?