One month in

Longjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I was losing weight since March this year and having problems with my feet beyond plantar fasciitis. Went to see a doctor at the end of August for the first time in 3 years, blood test with fasting BG over 300. Diagnosed type 2, initial medication 2 * 850mg metformin daily. After 2 weeks, upped to 1 * 1,000mg evening, 1 * 850mg morning. BP and prick test twice daily. Medication for high BP. Weight loss 104Kg -> 93Kg. Still getting used to metformin nausea.

Doctors diet advice was, no added sugar and no alcohol otherwise as normal. I moved to a low/no carb diet [no rice, bread, pasta, potatoes] and have seen good progress to date. Appointment to have an electro myography next week to check out my feet, although they have been feeling much better recently [Daily 30 minutes herbal hot foot spa followed by 20 minutes EMS]. Next review with doctor is on 11 October.

Glucose.png

BP.png

However, the fasting BP has bottomed out at 150 over the past few days. I'm suspecting this could be a reaction by my liver as it expels glucose from the fat build up. Further weight loss 93Kg -> 89Kg.

Last edited:

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I was losing weight since March this year and having problems with my feet beyond plantar fasciitis. Went to see a doctor at the end of August for the first time in 3 years, blood test with fasting BG over 300. Diagnosed type 2, initial medication 2 * 850mg metformin daily. After 2 weeks, upped to 1 * 1,000mg evening, 1 * 850mg morning. BP and prick test twice daily. Medication for high BP. Weight loss 104Kg -> 93Kg. Still getting used to metformin nausea.

Doctors diet advice was, no added sugar and no alcohol otherwise as normal. I moved to a low/no carb diet [no rice, bread, pasta, potatoes] and have seen good progress to date. However, the fasting BP has bottomed out at 150 over the past few days. I'm suspecting this could be a reaction by my liver as it expels glucose from the fat build up. Further weight loss 93Kg -> 89Kg. Due to have an electro myography next week to check out my feet, although they have been feeling much better recently [Daily 30 minutes herbal hot foot spa followed by 20 minutes EMS]. Next review with doctor is on 11 October.

View attachment 63410
View attachment 63411
That does sound promising. So glad you’re feeling better. I’m type 1 and have some tests coming up too. Wishing you the best.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Doctors diet advice was, no added sugar and no alcohol otherwise as normal. I moved to a low/no carb diet [no rice, bread, pasta, potatoes] and have seen good progress to date. However, the fasting BP has bottomed out at 150 over the past few days. I'm suspecting this could be a reaction by my liver as it expels glucose from the fat build up. Further weight loss 93Kg -> 89Kg. Due to have an electro myography next week to check out my feet, although they have been feeling much better recently [Daily 30 minutes herbal hot foot spa followed by 20 minutes EMS]. Next review with doctor is on 11 October.

View attachment 63410
View attachment 63411
Well done on your progress so far, great work!

Fasting BG readings can be higher than readings you influence in the day with diet/exercise/medication etc. Many people with diabetes have a fatty liver (especially if overweight). This can cause the liver to release more glucose than is ideal into your system, which causes higher BG readings. The liver mostly does this when you're hungry (fasting readings), as part of our normal daily wake-up functions (read up on "dawn phenomenon"), or when our bodies are under physical load/stress.

Losing weight helps improve fasting BG readings over time, especially losing visceral fat around organs (even people with perfect BMI can have this). Certain medications also affect how the liver functions with this process too and can reduce it.

Reactions: aylalake

Longjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fasting BG readings can be higher than readings you influence in the day with diet/exercise/medication etc. Many people with diabetes have a fatty liver (especially if overweight). This can cause the liver to release more glucose than is ideal into your system, which causes higher BG readings. The liver mostly does this when you're hungry (fasting readings), as part of our normal daily wake-up functions (read up on "dawn phenomenon"), or when our bodies are under physical load/stress.

Losing weight helps improve fasting BG readings over time, especially losing visceral fat around organs (even people with perfect BMI can have this). Certain medications also affect how the liver functions with this process too and can reduce it.
Readings continue to stay around the same. Fasting glucose today was 142. So directionally good. BMI is 25.2
Strange thing is my BG will be around 150 before dinner then two hours after a meal [steak] it dropped to 130 - and then the fasting glucose today is 142. Thats the second time this week.

Last edited:

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Readings continue to stay around the same. Fasting glucose today was 142. So directionally good. BMI is 25.2
Strange thing is my BG will be around 150 in the evening, two hours after a meal [steak] it drops to 130 - and then the fasting glucose is 142. Thats the second time this week.
I‘m not sure how BG numbers work with T2. I treat mine with insulin as T1. What do yu consider low or ideal BG post meal?

Longjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Another two weeks on this journey. As a consequence of weight loss, low carbs and metformin my BP is around 98/65. On occasion getting dizzy. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can reduce/stop my hypertension meds. Weight loss has flattened.

FBG stuck at 139 while evening pre-dinner at 134. The killer is if I have any carbs - even a biscuit with cheese puts up my BG to 160. Still getting low 4-hour post meal BG. Routinely under 121 at 11pm. Last night it was 117 after a steak with greens! Can only be good for my Hb1A1c.

I do have fatty liver. My hope is that through a combination of diet, fasting and exercise I can reduce the visceral fat level - and maybe get the FBG lower

Last edited:

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another two weeks on this journey. As a consequence of weight loss, low carbs and metformin my BP is around 98/65. On occasion getting dizzy. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can reduce/stop my hypertension meds. Weight loss has flattened.
Definitely worth keeping a close eye on BP, as you're doing. Mine has dropped significantly on low carb and with weight loss. I was on 3 meds back in July, I'm now only on 1.

High BP might be the "silent killer", but low blood pressure makes itself known very quickly. Keep checking and definitely don't hesitate to get onto your doctor about it.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.

Ohhhhh! Light bulb moment! Thank you - I was getting disheartened as my fasting readings seem to go up when my “bad habit” brain tells me I should be eating/snacking (midmorning, midday, mid-afternoon. Oddly they drop as I approach the end of my fasting period.
I have only been doing IF for 2 weeks so I am always grateful to the original posters (@Longjob this time) for initiating threads like this.

Longjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 7 following diagnosis. Follow up with GP. Upped my metformin to 2 * 1,000mg AND eliminated one hypertension medication [indapamide], reduced the other two by half [perindopril / amlodipine] - with the plan to eliminate altogether if my BP remains steady. And it has for three days! Weight remaining steady around 87kg. Have started to go out on my bicycle.

The big news is that after increasing the morning metformin to 1,000mg my FBG is 116 [6.4] (From 135 [7.5] a week ago), while my evening (pre-dinner) dropped to 99 [5.5]! Last night at meal + 2 hrs it was 101.

The key to this has been the reduction of carbs. No Bread, No Rice, No Pasta, No Potatoes. I say this knowing that there must be some around as constituents. Lots of veg and meat. Portion control so far is good. Naturally, just not eating as much. Snacking with almonds/walnuts.

Need to wait a month for my next blood test. Still impatient, fairly satisfied with the progress. Need to up the exercise.

Last edited: