Approved Online questionnaire - Self-care

LornaOfficial

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everyone! My name is Lorna and I am currently investigating type 2 diabetes and self-care including what gets in the way to caring for yourself such as social support, money, or time. If you are over the age of 18 and have been suffering with type 2 diabetes for over 1 year I invite you to take part in my research project by answering a few multiple choice questions taking approximately 20 minutes. All of the information will be completely anonymous and kept confidential, just follow the link below! Approval for this study has been granted by the De Montfort University, Division of Psychology, Ethics Management Committee.

https://dmupsy.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7NUeYNE7zxFr7uJ

Thanks very much in advance!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done. :)

My only comment is that many of us here on the forum control our T2 with diet as the primary control, but do so by NOT following NHS dietary advice (because eating that many carbs makes us worse, not better).

Don't think I was able to get that across in my answers.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Done. :)

My only comment is that many of us here on the forum control our T2 with diet as the primary control, but do so by NOT following NHS dietary advice (because eating that many carbs makes us worse, not better).

Don't think I was able to get that across in my answers.

:)

Exactly the same as @Brunneria said. Plus, I chose to stop taking certain medications against medical advice but it wasn't through lack of control or any other reason you gave us the option for, it was because I knew that it was what I needed to do at that time to achieve my end goal of non-medicated good control. Disclaimer: It worked for me but I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it though.

We're an odd bunch on this forum - we definitely aren't all the same shape pegs and we most definitely do not all fit in to the same shape holes. I think we all have a different story to tell and different ways of coping.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
same as @Brunneria I don't follow NHS advice as that would make my T2 worse. I follow LCHF because that works.

LornaOfficial

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou very much for responding, and for those additional comments, unfortunately that's a limitation of using these set sales, they don't quite capture each individual's reasoning and situation! Thanks again!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done, but agree with @Brunneria I am diet controlled and ignore the NHS dietary advice I have been given as that is possibly what gave me diabetes in the first place.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's one of the better surveys that I have completed @LornaOfficial . Most of the questions provided lots of scope to answer appropriately. How were you to know that the NHS is damaging the health of diabetics by giving them bad advice? It's not something the average person would stop to consider, but sadly it's true.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed @zand

Just to clarify for you, @LornaOfficial
The NHS suggest eating carbs (usually complex, brown, etc) at every meal. Plus plenty of sweet fruit. And says 'a little of what you fancy'.
However, all of the carbs and sweet fruit, treats and cakes still turn to blood glucose when they are digested.

So many of we T2s (but not all) choose to strictly control our carb intake, which then controls our blood glucose, which then slows down or halts the progression of our diabetes. Many of us reduce or cease our medication altogether, because our blood glucose levels are so good.

I agree that this was definitely one of the best questionnaires I have filled in. :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Generally agree with above but one comment :
Regarding my diabetes care, I should see my medical practitioner(s) more often.
makes me laugh. Since being passed back to my surgery by my consultant team, I have not seen a doctor, just an overworked generalist "practice nurse":arghh:
On the blod testing, I was on the Onetouch Ultraeasy, but when cutbacs came I was shunted onto a big, clunky alternative which is much less compact and handy to carry !
In regard the question :
How well do you feel you understand your diabetes?
In common with a few of the people on here the answer would be "a lot better than a lot of the HCPs I encounter at the surgery", I live it 24/7, they clock off at th end of the day:rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might want to ask which sort of diabetic are you. A lot of T2's are being told by Dr's they dont need to test their BG levels. I wanted to test mine and was told you can wait until you are older. I dont need to monitor every day and they would test it every 3 months. How is that controlling it?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done, but agree with @Brunneria I am diet controlled and ignore the NHS dietary advice I have been given as that is possibly what gave me diabetes in the first place.

Could I suggest that you include additional comments in your write up of your dissertation? Shouldn't be too much of a problem. A quick qualitative analysis of this additional data could enhance your research.
As others have mentioned, the non-compliance of many members here to the standard NHS diet advice of low fat, complex carbs is because we have found this does not work. In the current format of your questionnaire, that could be interpretted as eating the wrong diet for our diabetes.