Overnight plummets - ruining my sleep

Klang180

Hello all,

Long time since i made a post but i am glad to be back and looking for some advice if at all possible?

I am following my dream of doing a season snowboarding in Whistler but unfortunately i am having real issues with my Lantus.

Basically my lantus will drop my BS by around 5-7 every night if left unchecked. I reduced my Lantus (to 12 from 14) and this temporarily lowered this drop to around 2-3 but last night for example i needed 70+ carbs just to stay on an even keel. Obviously though this isn't sustainable and often (always really) affects how good a night sleep i get, not something i want when i want to get fresh tracks in the morning!

I realise i need to do some basal fasting tests so that i can check if my Lantus is doing its job but my bet is that it is, if anything, a little low.

I have tried to alternate injection sites and really keep to flabbier sites but to no avail. In the past i also tried doing the injection in the morning but it led to poor daytime control and might not be the best plan when i am so active during the day anyway.

So does anyone have any ideas as i am getting to my wits end with this?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you try splitting the lantus and taking one injection in the morning and one in the evening? (12 hrs apart).

I found this gave me greater flexibility if I didn't know how much exercise I was doing during the day - if I had done a lot then I would reduce my evening lantus or if only a little I would keep it the same.

It may be that you don't split the lantus equally - ie you may find your sugars stay stable if you have 8u in the morning but need say only 6 at night. However, to find out what works best you would need to do testing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App