Overnight readings

jocagil

IMG_7317.jpg

This is my overnight monitoring This is my figure before I get out of bed How do I work on getting this down so o have a better starting point in the morning It does settle to better levels during the day

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. What do you eat for your last meal of the day (what’s your reading 2 hours after your 1st mouthful of that meal?) and how long is it without food before you go to bed? The advice is try and stop 2-3 hours before bedtime. Are you T1, T2 or other?

Reactions: Paul41

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have posted this before but will mention it again as your graph looks incredibly like mine used to , my bg had probably been like it for decades but I have only realised since using the Libre cgm since last may . My last visit to my consultant who himself has been type 1 for 49 years the same as myself said he had the same problem but what he did was set his Libre alarm to wake him if he goes above 8 during the night and if so gives himself 1 unit of bolus and like he said we don't have to worry about going low while we sleep as the Libre alarm will wake us , it was a pain to start off with being woken as much as 3 times a night , I have been using this method for a few months now and it has worked brilliantly for me and the dawn phenomenon has almost disappeared as well , as MissMuffett says I would avoid any carbs a couple of hours before bed as for me anyway it tend to keep me at the top of the graph all night , last night for example I had a rice cake before bed , only about 5 carbs , and had 2 wake up calls during the night and woke this morning with a bg of 9 .

• Winner
Reactions: MissMuffett

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @jocagil and welcome back to the forum. It's good to see you here.

I take it you're type 2 diabetic. If so, one approach is to have your last meal of the day no later than 18.00-19.00 and avoid snacking afterwards.

Your profile doesn't tell us the type of diabetes you've developed, your medication or whether treatment by diet only. Might be helpful to know, if you would like advice from members.

Once again, welcome back.

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @jocagil . I see you have been a member for quite some time, despite not having made many posts.
As you are posting this in a T2 sub-forum, it is assumed that you have T2 diabetes, but your profile has no information about this, or any medication you are taking. If you could update this information, it will enable members to provide more relevant advice and support.

jocagil

Thank you all I will update my profile . I am type 2 for about 10 years I take Dapagliflozin 10mg and sitagliptin 100mg. I am self funding a Libra to try and get a grip on what was happening of a morning as my finger pricks were constantly around the 10 to 12 mark of a morning and I’m finding it does make more aware of what I’m eating and its impact. I will try not eating after 7pm and see how that works I do need to get back to the gym but was finding going first thing in the morning before breakfast that my reading would go up to 13 plus on the drive to the gym I am generally active as have 2 large dogs to walk

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes is a very individual disorder. You’ll learn most from blood glucose levels just before you start a meal and then two hours later. Ideally. the post-meal reading should be no more than 2 mmol/l higher than the first and no higher than 8 mmol/l. If that's the case, your body dealt with the arrival of glucose in your bloodstream and cleared it relatively quickly.

If you can achieve that consistently by reducing your carbohydate intake where necessary, your overnight BG levels should gradually come down.

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If my BG is too high in the evening two hours after eating, I go for a walk. It is often high due to stress and then I eat too much. But the walk - my kind husband joins me often - helps with both the stress and BG. And then my overnight levels are lower.