Painful Insulin Injections

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 4 injections a day into the fat layer around my middle.
Sometimes (and increasingly) there is a burning pain as the insulin goes in. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to stop injecting for a few minutes.
I'm using new needle each injection & insulin at room temperature. I try to use different injection points each time.
Any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
John,

It's important to rotate your injection sites and not inject in the same place each time, give the stomach a rest and try injecting your bolus insulin in the arms or legs and your basal insulin in the legs or buttocks, here is a useful site with plenty of information regarding injections:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7282

Nigel

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Hi I only inject once a day with victoza but sometimes I get a horrible feeling as well I find that its where I have forgotten I injected there the day before and that If I look closely can see a very faint bruise. So its worth swapping areas regularly as mentioned. I also find injecting cold doesnt sting as much but can nip occasionally on entry.

madness

The best thing to do is to rub your injection sites at night with your ususal moisteriser or vaseline
This helps to recover the pastiness from injection sites.

I ineject on my thighs and get brusing and use arnica from health shop to clear it up.
Ony a small amount as it is a natural antiseptic, I have been know to dilute it a little with moisteriser after first application to stretch as its 3 quid for a small tube