Patterns in readings and don't know what to do!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm noticing a pattern and just wondering why it's happening-

I eat a low carb dinner around 6pm and on average I'm between 5-6 before eating. 2 hours later I'm around 6mmol. I inject my 6u of lantus at 9pm and I'm 5.7ish (so going down after dinner). Then if I check before bed (11pm) I'm around 8.3 without eating anything. Then in the morning I'm in the low 5s. So my first question is why is it rising before bed without eating?

Then in the morning I wake up low 5s, within 30 mins (without eating) I've gone up to 6/7mmol. Then if I have eggs, I have to inject to stop it rising more.

Is this okay or is there an issue with my lantus? This is happening most days, I can see the patten but don't know what to do about it!!!

I eat quite a low carb diet, relatively active, 27yrs old and slim build.

Hope you can help!

X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The delayed rise in bg levels may be down to the food your eating, protein and fat in the absence of carbs convert to glucose by around 50%......albeit at a much slower rate so this might explain what is happening, to counteract your evening rise you might want to split-dose or use an extended bolus if your on a pump.

The morning rise is quite normal, I find eating as soon as I awake knocks off the liver dump.

Always best to do some basal checks when your unsure of anything.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your help. What does a split dose mean?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you for your help. What does a split dose mean?

It means spiting the dose you would give for that meal, so for example if I eat a low-carb breakfast I need 4 units of insulin for something like bacon & eggs or a omelette, so to allow for the delayed bg rise I'd inject 2 units before the meal and the other 2 units two to three hours after.