Peripheral neuropathy

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I urgently need some advice - I have recently been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, I have started taking Gabapentin as prescribed by my doctor 300mg 3x a day - I am in so much pain it is becoming unbearable, I am so uncomfortable! Using menthol aqueous cream also, but I need advice on what I can do for myself at home to calm it down or to at least get some rest. Please advise! I'm struggling so bad

Reactions: Kevin259

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Ebony2102, From the drug literature I gather it can take some days to two weeks or so for Gabapentin to reach therapeutic levels and longer before it is fulling working. (see britishpainsociety.com - gabapentin)
Speaking with the doctor who prescribed gabapentin to you could help to confirm this information.
In terms of other options to help in the meantime, I note capsaicin cream can be used on the painful areas. But be aware that the cream causes a burning sensation which can be uncomfortable if it comes in contact with sensitive skin such as eyelids or mucous tissue such as mouth etc. ref Mayo Clinic - Peripheral Neuropathy.
And small doses of anti-depressant medication may also help but may take just as long as Gabapentin to work. (ref. Mayo Clinic - Peripheral Neuropathy).
Best Wishes.

Reactions: masonbason63

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with @kitedoc but would add that if you try the capsaicin cream and you use a finger prick glucometer then it would be wise to wear gloves when applying the cream, it really lingers on the hands afterwards.

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both so much. I am already in anti depressant medication for my mental health - but will deffo have a look for that cream
Thank you!