Personal message to parents of teenage diabetic daughters

ellie97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd really like to share my own story with parents to warn them of a complication linked to diabetes that is common in young females going through puberty.
I recently discovered that i have low female horemone levels, which is high probability down to being type one diabetic.
I was diagnised at age 13/14, similar time to puberty, i went through 4 years of depression and self harm because i hadn't developed breasts, and a few days ago i finally discovered the reason, the reason being diabetes.
My message to parents is to get a blood test done for your daughter's to check horemone levels, because although it sounds silly it may affect them terribly similar to how it has affected me.
I hope this helps parents, or even teenage girls going through a similar issue, you have people there to help you! X

Reactions: 8 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd really like to share my own story with parents to warn them of a complication linked to diabetes that is common in young females going through puberty.
I recently discovered that i have low female horemone levels, which is high probability down to being type one diabetic.
I was diagnised at age 13/14, similar time to puberty, i went through 4 years of depression and self harm because i hadn't developed breasts, and a few days ago i finally discovered the reason, the reason being diabetes.
My message to parents is to get a blood test done for your daughter's to check horemone levels, because although it sounds silly it may affect them terribly similar to how it has affected me.
I hope this helps parents, or even teenage girls going through a similar issue, you have people there to help you! X
Mind you, boys have same challenges, and may also end up in adulthood with less Testosterone hormone release.
Many studies have been conducted to research this area. Summarizing a couple of samples: The mean height standard deviation scores (SDS) at diagnosis were typically greater than their genetic target height (GTH). The growth velocity between diagnosis and final height was slow, with significant reduction in pubertal growth spurt. The mean final height attained by these children was lower than their GTH. The average age at menarche in girls (15.1 years) and the mean age of full sexual maturation in boys (17.2 years) were significantly delayed in this group of diabetic patients. This retardation in physical growth and pubertal development was positively correlated with the duration of diabetes before the onset of puberty and glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) concentration. The majority of these patients were thin at diagnosis of diabetes, with median body mass index (BMI) <22, but showed a remarkable, progressive weight gain during puberty, which was more evident in girls. The weight gain was independent of weight at diagnosis and duration of diabetes, but was positively correlated with the daily dose of insulin and HbA1c concentration. Most of the studies on how T1 in adulthood often suffer from lower oestrogen/T levels are based on adults that were children and went through puberty on the old style regime of T1 therapy. Progress in knowledge of the physiopathology of diabetes related to growth/maturing impairment, and improvement in diabetes management and particularly the use of new intense insulin regimens in newly diagnosed children with T1 DM, has substantially improved the prognosis for normal growth and avoiding complications for development during puberty.

Reactions: 2 people