Praise where it's due

A

Anonymous

I just had reason to call the Roche helpline (them who make my Accu-Chek monitor) because it was coming up with a battery error even after I'd changed the battery.

The nice person at the other end talked me through adjusting the pins in the battery compartment, which fixed the problem. She then offered me one of their new monitors - which I declined because I'm happy with this one (and I have a spare that's the same) - and finally she offered to replace the battery (which I'd nicked off work).

I know they make gazoodles of cash off the NHS for the strips but it was nice, helpful and thoughtful service and it's quite cheered me up.

slimtony

Re: Never smile at a crocodile

Hi,

The free meters are dished out as a Loss leader. And, as you've already said, the return is made via the over-priced test strips that either us or the NHS have to repeatedly buy. It more than covers the cost of the fantastic customer service.

A

Anonymous

Oh I entirely understand the concept and sales model - but the customer service was good and I just thought it was worth mentioning.

slimtony

It was certainly worth mentioning.
No one will be left asking "Where the **** did all the money go?" during the NHS' requiem. :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

You're a cynic slimtony - customer service in this country is far worse than just about everywhere else I've travelled (ok, maybe not France :) ) and people only complain about poor service - if more people spoke up when they receive good service then things might improve.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The first bg meter I owned was a Roche meter and I have never used any other brand since, there a good meter and very reliable and the help-line is second to none.

Registering a accu-chek product when you purchase one entitles you to free battery's and control solution.

A

Anonymous

and they will send you one of their new Mobile models if you phone and ask - though you may need to exaggerate how many strips you use a day (I said 6 and she got all excited). I hate to think how much the new cartridges cost though.

My Accu-Chek Aviva doesn't require need much blood, which is useful because my fingers are starting to resemble the prunes that I shouldn't be eating and it's very fast (about 3 seconds) which is useful because I'm very impatient, especially before breakfast.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
swimmer2 said:
and they will send you one of their new Mobile models if you phone and ask - though you may need to exaggerate how many strips you use a day (I said 6 and she got all excited). I hate to think how much the new cartridges cost though.

Let us know how you get on with the accu-chek mobile, I got one when they first came out and didn't like it at all and ended up going back to my accu-chek nano.

C

catherinecherub

I think it is a trait that all meter manufacturers follow, good customer service. If it was naff then many would switch to another supplier and their astronomical profits would see a decline.

Your signature states that you are trying to come off insulin. It might be that your G.P. will decide that when you no longer need insulin then you will join the ranks of Type2's denied test strips. A double edged sword may await you. You have improved your control and in so doing will be denied test strips. Get your argument ready if that day comes.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I know that may well happen in which case I'll be using a codefree meter from ebay I expect, but it's a price I'm resigned to if I can ditch the insulin. However, I am fortunate that I've always had free strips and not always been on insulin.