Problems regarding T1 & work placement.

Hi all im Chris im new here and ive got a few issues i cant seem to get my head around and wondered if anyone can help. Ive been type 1 Diabetic for 30 years ive been sacked from 40 jobs due to my health and collapsed at work i dont get any warnings for hypos anymore and ive spoke to the goverment to ask for finacial help so i eat more and can go to my job and yet the DLA and PIP they say i have no need to claim it as i can do things on a normal basis which to me is a concern looking at the 2010 Equality Act. and if this is Not Correct they should be paying a back payment of 10years when ive been applying for 20 years my health isnt the best Question is what do i do now..... Goverment fob me off all the time cos i feel im an inconvience to them all and im a very depressed person at this moment in my life

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all im Chris im new here and ive got a few issues i cant seem to get my head around and wondered if anyone can help. Ive been type 1 Diabetic for 30 years ive been sacked from 40 jobs due to my health and collapsed at work i dont get any warnings for hypos anymore and ive spoke to the goverment to ask for finacial help so i eat more and can go to my job and yet the DLA and PIP they say i have no need to claim it as i can do things on a normal basis which to me is a concern looking at the 2010 Equality Act. and if this is Not Correct they should be paying a back payment of 10years when ive been applying for 20 years my health isnt the best Question is what do i do now..... Goverment fob me off all the time cos i feel im an inconvience to them all and im a very depressed person at this moment in my life

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

It seems you have a specific question needing advice for. Which may get lost in this topic.
Would you like me or a member of the moderator to give you your own topic with your post?

We would be only too happy to help.

Kind regards,

Jay.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you need help with hypo warnings - could you speak to your diabetes team about a Dexcom?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems, but if you have hypo unawarness ( which sounds like it) then you really need to contact your diabetes team, for help and support. You say you don't get a warning when you have a hypo 'anymore' how long as this been going on ?
If you can get better readings, more stable ones with tweaking your diabetes management, then you will hopefully look forward to a better future.
Take care :)

Hi all sorry for Late Reply internet problems .... Well the issues started 3 years ago i was hypo 3-4 times aweek it got so bad i had to quit work. Since then im living on £300 a month a diabetic cant survive and pay bills on that alone the goverment dont seem to care for my well being. Ive recently spoke to my goverment and i explained to them you either help or ill hold them responsible for my death. They Suggested to Claim the long term Sick and get a Sick note off my Dr this means i will Recieve more money, and i said im a Worker not Lazy. My body has been through so much im Scared now of collapsing in the street feels like im no longer safe at all

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You really do need to speak to your diabetes team. The technology available now can really help with hypo awareness. The Dexcom will set off an alarm so you can take on board glucose and stop the hypo in its tracks. That might be a 15 minute break at work, but employers will tolerate that.

Your diabetes team can also help you look at whether there are patterns which drive the hypos (I can crash at about 5pm) & help you with your insulin dosages.

Reactions: David_E and KK123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all sorry for Late Reply internet problems .... Well the issues started 3 years ago i was hypo 3-4 times aweek it got so bad i had to quit work. Since then im living on £300 a month a diabetic cant survive and pay bills on that alone the goverment dont seem to care for my well being. Ive recently spoke to my goverment and i explained to them you either help or ill hold them responsible for my death. They Suggested to Claim the long term Sick and get a Sick note off my Dr this means i will Recieve more money, and i said im a Worker not Lazy. My body has been through so much im Scared now of collapsing in the street feels like im no longer safe at all

Chris - I commend you for wanting to take your place in the community and the economy by seeking work, however, from what you write, right now, that may not be practical, whilst you have all these issues.

I'm sure the suggestion of a sock note didn't appeal, but it is likely right now, if you were working, you might need to be signed off for a while, to get sorted out.

Sometimes a solution isn't palatable, but sometimes it is a means to an end.

Please do consider asking your Diabetes Team for help with your hypo-unawareness. We have members here on the forum who have had some fabulous technology sponsored by the NHS to help out with exactly that, although in all cases I can think of, they did have some hoops to jump through on the way to that.

In getting better, you have your part to play, and sometimes "the system" feels like game-playing, but those inside "the system" are just as bound by red-tape as we are.

My thoughts would be to reconsider two things:

Firstly engaging with your Diabetes Team, urgently
Secondly, speaking with your Doctor about your longer term well-being, and putting in place aplan to move forward.

With a strong work ethic, I'm sure there's a job out there for you, but you need to be in a fit state to do it.

Good luck with it all. Unfortunately, many health related things aren't quick fixes.

Chris - I commend you for wanting to take your place in the community and the economy by seeking work, however, from what you write, right now, that may not be practical, whilst you have all these issues.

I'm sure the suggestion of a sock note didn't appeal, but it is likely right now, if you were working, you might need to be signed off for a while, to get sorted out.

Sometimes a solution isn't palatable, but sometimes it is a means to an end.

Please do consider asking your Diabetes Team for help with your hypo-unawareness. We have members here on the forum who have had some fabulous technology sponsored by the NHS to help out with exactly that, although in all cases I can think of, they did have some hoops to jump through on the way to that.

In getting better, you have your part to play, and sometimes "the system" feels like game-playing, but those inside "the system" are just as bound by red-tape as we are.

My thoughts would be to reconsider two things:

Firstly engaging with your Diabetes Team, urgently
Secondly, speaking with your Doctor about your longer term well-being, and putting in place aplan to move forward.

With a strong work ethic, I'm sure there's a job out there for you, but you need to be in a fit state to do it.

Good luck with it all. Unfortunately, many health related things aren't quick fixes.
Appreciate your time in Writing back to me thanks Guys

Reactions: LindiePops

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chris
I’ve been in your situation. If you want to give it a try I can post you a Constant Glucose Monitor I got funded for. Asking for help from your diabetes team is a waste of time, they are too busy with type 2 Covid patients at the moment.
I agree the DWP have NO COMPASSION in the slightest for diabetics. We don’t even get the extra £20 Universal credit claimants get! The way they have treated me has almost driven me to suicide. I’m no longer using the CGM because they refused to renew my driving licence whilst I’m on it, and I am not prepared to lose my freedom. But short term it might help you with alerting you to dropping blood sugar levels, which you need to get on top of.
Do you have a Freestyle Libre? That’s a good alternative if you can get the new one which links to an app on a smartphone, & can be set to alert too.