1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pump and Libra sensors

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by zippy100h, Apr 23, 2021.

1. zippy100h

zippy100h Type 1 · Member

Hi guys hope some one can help.
    I'm on a Accu Chek insight pump and use a Libra sensor for my BMs. On Tuesday through to Wednesday my BMs were running stupid high. I called the hospital as I am normally well controlled, and all the nurse could talk about was I needed to use my handheld monitor that goes with the pump to work out my insulin amount delivery and to enter my BM manually on this (I've been using the Libra for a good couple of years). I don't see the point in this as I have my ratios in the Libra. Does anyone else use both or do you just use the Libra reader. And by the way I got my BMs sorted it was a bad vial of insulin.

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use LibrE and a pump but a different pump.
    I never use the reader as my pump is controlled via a phone app and see no point in carrying more stuff around me to lose.
    I use the bolus calculator on my pump as i is aware of IOB, etc. and I just need to enter my current blood sugar from the Libre app and teh carbs I am about to eat.

I have heard that the Accu Chek pumps have some connection to their blood sugar meters and have heard of other users having Libre but unable to use them for bolusing from due to this limitation which seems to be a way for Accu Chek to sell more test strips.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog LADA · Well-Known Member

I too have been using Libre for many years. I use mine with a Miaomiao Bluetooth transmitter which talks to my phone.

Like you, I stopped using the reader many years ago as there was just no point.

Over the years I have had only 1 time when I had erroneously high readings. It was the only time that I had a defective sensor, although I have heard other people say that it occasionally happens to them too.

I do often have problems of being stupid high for the first half a day after changing my cannula site.
    I have never got to the bottom of why this happens to me, but I suspect it is something to do with my Chubby Belly!

My DSN talked to me about changing sites to my leg or bum. I tried both and wasn't impressed with the results. Perhaps it needs a different cannula for these areas.

I have sometimes wondered if my insulin is a bit dodgy. I have never changed it, but maybe I should next time.
    Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. zippy100h

Thanks so much. The nurse just was not listening to me when I said I don't need to use the handheld pump monitor

5. zippy100h

As soon as I changed the insulin it started to come down. I think sometimes the clinical team don't know as much as we who live with it do, which to be fair isn't their fault they learn via training and product information x

• Like Like x 1
  6. Queenserene_

Queenserene_ Type 1 · Member

I have had the same about having to use the handset with the insight pump. Didnt know you could put the ratios in libre?

I am on the accuchek mobile meter which you then bluetooth to the mysugar app for calculations and then manually put it on the insight pump. I find it too many devices at the moment to really be practical. Been told to put all my libre results into the my sugar app as well but it sort of takes away from the ease of the libre. Now 4 separate devices in total for every BG test.

• Like Like x 1
  7. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am also on both, but still libre 1 at moment. We were told to always use blood tests for decision making as it was more accurate. Libre although good I feel it's best to use the pump equipment especially for meal bolus

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook