Pumping and infections!

laura220579

Evening everyone.
I've only been pumping for just over 3 weeks now and things have been, well topsy turvey to say the least. I was slowly getting on track until this weekend.
Having been T1 for 30 years I've probably had every complication under the sun and whilst on mdi I pushed thru each one and came out the other side.
I have been prone to abscesses for many years. Before on mdi I could just take extra insulin n that was that, but now I'm on the pump I don't feel like I have any control whatsoever. My bgs have jumped into double figures since sat and no amount of correction or temp basals have helped at all. My DSN has suggested going into a 200% basal increase for 8 hours and just inject correction doses by pen every 2 hours until my antibiotics and penicillin kick in.
I don't know about anyone else, but before on mdi, I never really took all that much notice of what infection, colds (or even sex come to think on it) did to my bgs. I'm starting to realise how much I don't actually know about my diabetes at all!
Was just wondering if this is the same for everyone? Is the next year just going to be me making notes about how every single little thing affects my bg? I'm really feeling deflated today. I had it in my head that when I started the pump, my diabetes would revolve around my life and not my life around the diabetes. It's just pissing me off! Sorry for the language if anyone is offended. Just the way I'm feeling at this point!

NigelF

Hi Laura, stick with it as using a pump WILL change your life!. I had six weeks of hell when I went onto a pump 5years ago but then it all clicked into place. It's help me lose 3 stones and feel much better for it.
Keep notes on what extra you've had so you can learn from it. I used to check my bg around 4 times a day & thought I was in control. How wrong i was. I now check between 8-10 times a day & have the hba1c from 10.1 down to 7.
Keep at it, you'll be glad you did & keep in touch with your DSN's.
Nige

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Laura.

I agree that I never took notice of the things that affected my Sugar levels. I didn't notice till I started on a pump how much extra insulin I needed just for a cold !! (I have found I need to put my basal rate at 170% for a cold, but never even upped my insulin on MDI).

It has taken me a while to get used to my pump after about 14 years on MDI, but now I do love it (I've had it for a year and a few months). It is a pain at first as you have to sort out the basal through lots of testing and it took ages for me to get my nighttime rate right. This was particularly awkward as it involved waking up every 2 hours for a looooong time so I was quite grumpy about that! However stick with it and it will get easier. 3 weeks is barely any time to adjust so don't panic and just keep plugging away!

Patch13

laura220579

Thank you, both of you.
Had a longggg night last night and looks like its going to be a long one again tonight, BUT I'm not gonna give up!
The 100% basal increase worked great last night, few wee lows but nothing I couldn't handle. Although its tough just now I feel more positive today. I think it's the fact that I got through it and wasn't hospitalised lol. Just hope these penicillin and antibiotics kick in soon so I can get bk to working on my normal basals instead of infection basals :)
Thanks for listening to me moaning xxxx