pumps

robez4

can a type 2 diabetic who injects twice daily ( a large amount am. ), and takes tablets change to a pump delivery system ?

Pneu

In some countries pump's are available to type II's... I am not sure on the NHS stance as a whole but I can tell you that in my PCT at the moment they are only offering them to type I children and even then it's a battle (I don't think there are any NICE guidelines for type II although someone may come and correct me!)... I would be very shocked if you got one on the NHS.. that's not to say you can't self-fund although I would think your looking at around £2,500 - £3,500 for the pump and probably £1,000+ / yeah for cannula / etc...

Cheryl

I know of one Type 2 who has a pump funded by the NHS. He used to fund it himself, but it eventually broke & he decided to fight for funding. His hba1c rose signficantly while not on the pump & he eventually won his fight to get one funded by the NHS, but it took a long time & a lot of effort by him. They are not recommended by NICE for Type 2s. He has a very strong personality and used all of his wits to persuade the PCT to give it to him. He had, since starting the pump at his own expense, retired so had less money coming in to fund himself. I don't think that he'd have got it without his constant badgering of the PCT.