queeeestioooonnn or two...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Heeey,

yet another questionnn :)

I got my infusion sets and stuff from accu-chek today, is it okay if i try one? is it okay to leave in just with the little plug thing in over night? just to see how it feels?

Second question,

Should i expect a vial of insulin to last as long as a pen does? at the minute theres only two on my prescription at a time and i like to have a couple of weeks worth of stuff at a time, i've already upped my strips as i know ill be testing alot more than i do now, i have a nice lovely doctor who will willingly put it to as many as i feel i need :)

Spanks for any help :)

iHs

Hi

Sent you a quick PM on this. Don't know which sets Accu chek sent you but if it's Flexlink, hopefully you will have received the inserter as well. The directions for inserting them are fairly clear so have a go and put one in. Hope you got hold of some LiftPlus spray? If not, google LiftPlus Opus Healthcare and get a free sample. LiftPlus makes removing the set easy. Also get a bottle of Tea Tree oil to dab over cannula hole when removing a set. Ensures rapid healing.

Two vials of insulin (10ml each) will last you a long time. You will need approx 25% less insulin using a pump than MDI.

Enjoy :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!

Firstly of course it's ok to try one in overnight, several of people in my pump start-up group did this. Just make sure you have clean skin where you insert as infection can be much more of an issue with pumping.

Secondly I personally would have more than 2 vials on the go as I like to have some in reserve for emergencies (if one breaks, snowed in, etc). In my case my GP misunderstood so my prescription is for the same amount of vials as I had penfills - 15!!! :lol: I am well stocked!

jopar

You get 3 cartridge of insulin out of one vial of insulin for the accu-check 1 full cartridge carries 315 units of insulin...

I use on adverage 20 units of insulin a day, so one cartridge lasts roughly 15 days, so 2 vials lasts me 3 months :roll:

I find that if it starts getting very warm I have to 1/2 fill my cartridges otherwise it can go off a bit near the end of the cartridge...

I actually never use the plugs when I haven't got my tubing attached even when bathing, as the canular has a self-sealing seal same as the vials, so nothing is going to enter... mind you if I went swimming in the sea or public baths I think I would use one then, just for reasurance purposes..

I've found that I've not needed anything to aid removing the dressing, and not found residue to be a problem... Never bothered with applying anything to aid healing either any marks from the canular fades very quickly so only ever have a couple of marks at any one time..

Hazza

Hi, we have been told to change the cartridge every 6th day by the nurse. We change the cannula every 2 days. Lily is on about 20-24 units a day so we only put about 240u in the cartridge which allows for priming and bubbles etc. so we get 4 refills and a vial will last us 24 days. Apparently insulin is very cheap compared to the other stuff. Have been told that 1 box of infusion sets is around £70 plus vat so not cheap. We get 2 vials at a time so lasts about 6 or 7 weeks. We do get through a lot of strips though at the moment and test up to 7 times a day, not too much at night time now as she seems to be pretty steady on her basal rate.
It's all trial and error to begin with but so satisfying when you get it right (only for it to change a few days later).
We don't use the plugs much either but we will be going on holiday in a few weeks and will definitely use them on the beach. As for removing the sets we have had problems with them staying put at times so we now use either tincture of benzoin or skin tac wipes, the wipes are much stickier and when we come to take them off we have some universal remover wipes on prescription which do a great job and Lily takes them out herself. We also use tea tree oil to help the healing.

Harry

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

thanks for all your replies guys :)

i will definately try one tonight, see how it feels as i chose the flex link plus :)

i'll also see how it goes with two vials at a time seems like that should be more than enough for a few weeks!

thanks again, your always helpful guys :)