Reducing insulin?

jimfraser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 66 with type 2 for 3 years or so. On Novopen 30 2 or 3 times a day. Dose has crept up to 20 - 25units a day with blood sugar around 7 or 8. Last 2 hospital clinics said my blood sugar was great and then exemplary! They said I was too tightly controlled! Decided to cut back dose - now at 12 units per day and sugars now at 5 or 6. Never had a hypo but initially sugars been up to 13 - felt lousy! Stopped statins and Diffundox for benign prostate as I felt so bad. Bit better now. Why are my sugars lower? No real difference in lifestyle.

Reactions: SWUSA_

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are my sugars lower? No real difference in lifestyle.

No real changes? You'd be very surprised just how much of an impact the smallest changes can make. Have you made even a small change to your diet and exercise?

I cannot vouch for the credibility of the below article or study it includes, but it does suggest a correlation between statin use and raised BG.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278164.php

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree that the difference could be the statins. They don't affect everyone in the same way, so it's difficult to be certain. However, it's a good thing your blood sugars have dropped. Make sure you talk to your doctor/DSN/hospital clinic about this next time you see them so they are in the picture, as they are likely to want you to take statins again. Whether you do is, of course, up to you, but as someone who suffered memory loss and consequently redundancy because of statins, I don't believe doctors take the side effects of statins seriously enough. If statins worsen your blood sugar results, that's not a good thing. I knew they could raise blood sugars when I took them but that didn't worry me because I was told the result for me (as a type 1) might be that I needed slightly more insulin. As it happened, I didn't . We aren't all the same .
My husband also has a benign prostate problem, the drugs for which make him tired, so I can understand that rising sugar levels plus extra tiredness must have been pretty awful. I think you need to talk about this with your doctor too. Dealing with doctors etc is a problem in itself, at times, isn't it ?