Saxender or other weight loss medication

jennav86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening - has anyone with type 1 diabetes tried any weight loss medication? There’s a few new products available but the info online is limited to whether it’s safe for diabetics etc? Just interested to hear if anyone has tried such things??

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everything that I’ve read seems to suggest if you’re insulin dependent to either not take it or consult your doctor before taking it as it can affect how your insulin works and result in more hypo’s. Personally wouldn’t take it without talking to my doctor first.

Reactions: jennav86

Ruby Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes consultant prescribed Victoza (exactly the same product as Saxenda, and both made by Novo Nordisk - look it up!). I lost a stone on it but as it was described as a diabetes medication you are not allowed to go over 1.2u I think it was. With Saxenda you can take up to 3u max. I found that as I couldn't increase the dose my body got used to it and it made no effect after a while. I did get Saxenda privately although I'm afraid to say I lied and said I wasn't Diabetic. It just got too expensive to carry on at 3u at £50 per pen (it will cost about £150 pm) so gave up completely with it.
You should speak to your consultant about it. It can make you go hypo so you may need to be cautious and test your sugars more often.

Last edited:
Reactions: jennav86