1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Saying hello,

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Chris Bowsher, May 8, 2018.

1. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there,

40 year old with type 1.

Diagnosed at 16 years old (late) mid 90's

Close control method for most of that.

A young family and increased alcohol intake has made control much more difficult and has got steadily worse in the last 5 years so just trying to wrestle it back, and thought coming on here might give me some inspiration and tips especially with exercise and control

see you around

Chris

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

@Chris Bowsher welcome to the forum I only joined a few days ago too and have been given some great advice I was diagnosed when I was 14 (after a double lung transplant) due to medication I have to take I am now 19

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Hi and welcome,

I am Type 2 with no knowledge of insulin. Hopefully some T1s will be along shortly.

4. Chris Bowsher

hello to you both !

5. Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Chris Bowsher and thanks @Diakat for the referral!

Chris I was diagnosed earlier than you (5yo) but had the same issues in early adulthood with young family, alcohol, rising HbA1c and general stress, anxiety and depression. I don't want to go into too much depth on here but if you want to chat send me a DM and I'll be happy to run you through my experiences.

(disclaimer: I went through hell and have come out the other side with minimal scarring!)

J

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chris Bowsher

Hello @Jeremy_Wood & @Diakat and thank you for the warm welcome.

We do seem similar Jeremy. In my late teens, 20's and early 30's i suffered from pretty bad recurrent anxiety and hypochondria. (i think triggered partly by diabetes diagnosis and by nuture)

It is much less a part of my life now, but i always have to keep one eye on it, as it's always bubbling under the surface.

I think probably having two small children is the biggest factor that affects my diabetes currently.
    Mainly because i have very little spare time and also because my life revolves around being reactive rather than proactive. Children are pretty unpredictable!

I've already learnt a few interesting things about control from reading the forum.

I've started carb counting now and taken into account insulin ratios and how they can change during the day depending on various factors.

See you guys around!

• Like Like x 1
    #8 Chris Bowsher, May 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  9. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds positive! Keep it up and remember we're all on here for the same thing - to support each other and get support when we need it!

J

10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yep, throw kids in the mix and it gets messier. Not to mention more exhausting and frustrating.
    Hope chatting here helps you out.

11. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

welcome here Chris , this is a great place for advice and support... there are many type 1´s here too

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook