Side-effects Of Eye Drops

Kineton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

As an 80 year male diabetic Type 2 managing it with diet. No tablets presently. I have yearly Diabetic Eye Screening.
This was done by Opticians until last year, when it failed and I had to attend a Hospital clinic to be tested with a hand slit lamp - where eye drops were used as normal.

Last year everything went, as normal. i.e. Had the eye drops the test was o.k. and I went on with my life.

However, this year. Same hospital, same clinic same operator. Put the eye drops in, had the test.
Had difficulty making my way home as I forgot my sunglasses. Had to cover my eyes against the sunlight.
After getting home I looked at my eyes and had never seen them so dilated, but thought I'd recover as normal.
I didn't!

I went to bed early. The next morning when I sat up my head felt strange. Then I coughed to clear my throat and there was a surge of pressure in my head which caused me quite strong pain. I started to move and found that even bending slightly caused this similar pressure pain in my head. It feels like the inside of arteries/veins carrying the blood, have been 'sensitised' to the pressure of the blood; whenever I cough or exert myself. Later I found that almost any food I ate caused a long lasting head pain. It's not like a headache, though similar. Its like the inside is sensitised.

After taking care of myself, day by day, trying to cope with these unexpected symptoms. It was about 10 days later before I admitted to myself that it wasn't going to return to normal. I was by then getting periods of normality and learning not to exacerbate the condition with the 'wrong' food, or movement etc. Though food is still a big problem.

I rang the Patients-Association helpline for advice. They said I should contact PALS at the hospital, which I did. I was advised to write an email complaint describing the problem. Then I called the 'Retinal Screening' telephone number. I was phoned back by the doctor there, who advised me to attend 'Birmingham Midland Eye Centre'. Which I did. There, they told me, that as I didn't presently have an eye problem, I should see my doctor.

I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.

Meanwhile doing web searches I accessed and joined this site. Hoping that someone somewhere can understand what has happened to me.

At the Retinal Screening phone call I asked what eye drops were used. The clinician had recorded only 'Tropicamide 1%'
I recall having three drops in each eye and then (I think) two more in my right eye - which has a cataract.
I asked at the time what the drops were. he merely said (If I recall correctly) the first drops are anti infection.

I am very clear that these drops have caused this head pain condition.
Up until that day I had in recent decades been remarkably free from headaches. Just the occasional reaction to food.
I had said as much to my sister when she recounted her own migraine problem.
So this is very limiting!

Any advice explanation would be welcome.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Kineton

Hopefully your Dr will try and find the cause of your head pain tomorrow. I've had the drops administered for many years now and not had an adverse reaction thus far, but as the drops dilate the pupils of the eye they do make you more sensitive to light which can cause some discomfort until the pupils recover.

Let us know how you get on with your Dr and good luck.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife (a non diabetic) had eye drops some years ago put in at hospital ... she then suffered with pain in eyes and sore heads and still does over 25 years later ... hope you get sorted .. the bad heads need looking at, and I hope your Dr takes them seriously

Dark Horse

What you describe is not a known side-effect of tropicamide so it might just be coincidence. Or, possibly, squinting in the bright light could have brought on a tension headache. Useful info about headaches can be found here:- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Headache/Pages/Introduction.aspx#serious It would be best to see your GP as soon as possible to rule out any serious causes.

Tropicamide relaxes the muscles in the iris so the pupil dilates. In some susceptible people, very rarely, it might bring on "angle closure glaucoma" http://patient.info/health/acute-angle-closure-glaucoma
This occurs due to a rapid rise in eye pressure and has symptoms of headache, but also severe eye pain and sometimes nausea and haloes around lights. However, if your eye pressures had been high, the Birmingham Midland Eye Centre would have followed this up.

Kineton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank for your replies. This is no tension headache, this lasted over three weeks so far.

I had no eye pain, though for a week there was eye strain using the computer too long. Now that is not a problem. So I don't think it is "angle closure glaucoma".
We'll see what the Doctor makes of it. The whole thing is quite a shock to me.

Thanks!

PS: A Google search on head pain when coughing throws up many links - of which this Mayo Clinic link is one. It describes my symptoms well. But not how I got it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/primary-cough-headaches/basics/definition/con-20024827

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

As an 80 year male diabetic Type 2 managing it with diet. No tablets presently. I have yearly Diabetic Eye Screening.
This was done by Opticians until last year, when it failed and I had to attend a Hospital clinic to be tested with a hand slit lamp - where eye drops were used as normal.

Last year everything went, as normal. i.e. Had the eye drops the test was o.k. and I went on with my life.

However, this year. Same hospital, same clinic same operator. Put the eye drops in, had the test.
Had difficulty making my way home as I forgot my sunglasses. Had to cover my eyes against the sunlight.
After getting home I looked at my eyes and had never seen them so dilated, but thought I'd recover as normal.
I didn't!

I went to bed early. The next morning when I sat up my head felt strange. Then I coughed to clear my throat and there was a surge of pressure in my head which caused me quite strong pain. I started to move and found that even bending slightly caused this similar pressure pain in my head. It feels like the inside of arteries/veins carrying the blood, have been 'sensitised' to the pressure of the blood; whenever I cough or exert myself. Later I found that almost any food I ate caused a long lasting head pain. It's not like a headache, though similar. Its like the inside is sensitised.

After taking care of myself, day by day, trying to cope with these unexpected symptoms. It was about 10 days later before I admitted to myself that it wasn't going to return to normal. I was by then getting periods of normality and learning not to exacerbate the condition with the 'wrong' food, or movement etc. Though food is still a big problem.

I rang the Patients-Association helpline for advice. They said I should contact PALS at the hospital, which I did. I was advised to write an email complaint describing the problem. Then I called the 'Retinal Screening' telephone number. I was phoned back by the doctor there, who advised me to attend 'Birmingham Midland Eye Centre'. Which I did. There, they told me, that as I didn't presently have an eye problem, I should see my doctor.

I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.

Meanwhile doing web searches I accessed and joined this site. Hoping that someone somewhere can understand what has happened to me.

At the Retinal Screening phone call I asked what eye drops were used. The clinician had recorded only 'Tropicamide 1%'
I recall having three drops in each eye and then (I think) two more in my right eye - which has a cataract.
I asked at the time what the drops were. he merely said (If I recall correctly) the first drops are anti infection.

I am very clear that these drops have caused this head pain condition.
Up until that day I had in recent decades been remarkably free from headaches. Just the occasional reaction to food.
I had said as much to my sister when she recounted her own migraine problem.
So this is very limiting!

Any advice explanation would be welcome.

Thanks

what a shame you have had such an experience. I have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, as I was reading, I was wondering if forgetting your sunnies had resulted in some form of trauma to your eyes - a bit like spending too long, looking into a bright light. I have no idea if that thought is even valid.

Secondly, when I have had my screening (just the three times, so far), have been given drops, with no side effects, thankfully. Each time, I have been given an A5 sheet of information on one side and advice on the other. On the information side, aside from describing the potential for blurred vision has a space for the technician to write the type of drops they have used. Allegedly there are two potential drops they can use.

That information is provided so that if there is any form of ill-effect I would be able let the techician doing the screening next time not to use the same drops, but to use the alternative.

And finally, the leaflet states if I have any concerns I should contact eye casualty (details how are on there) and take the sheet with me, so that they would know how to treat me.

As I have never had any issues, I haven't kept the sheet for any longer than a day or so, but I've always thought it a great idea. Do you usually receive anything similar?

I do hope the mystery and the pain can be resolved soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Kineton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
what a shame you have had such an experience. I have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, as I was reading, I was wondering if forgetting your sunnies had resulted in some form of trauma to your eyes - a bit like spending too long, looking into a bright light. I have no idea if that thought is even valid.

Secondly, when I have had my screening (just the three times, so far), have been given drops, with no side effects, thankfully. Each time, I have been given an A5 sheet of information on one side and advice on the other. On the information side, aside from describing the potential for blurred vision has a space for the technician to write the type of drops they have used. Allegedly there are two potential drops they can use.

That information is provided so that if there is any form of ill-effect I would be able let the techician doing the screening next time not to use the same drops, but to use the alternative.

And finally, the leaflet states if I have any concerns I should contact eye casualty (details how are on there) and take the sheet with me, so that they would know how to treat me.

As I have never had any issues, I haven't kept the sheet for any longer than a day or so, but I've always thought it a great idea. Do you usually receive anything similar?

I do hope the mystery and the pain can be resolved soon.

Yes I think forgetting my sunglasses was not helpful. I literally covered my eyes as best I could with my hands.

Giving such a form would seem a very good idea!!! I was not offered any. I need to know answers to what drops and how much and will be asking that futurely.

There is little room for doubt that the screening event triggered this head pain condition, but what other factors apply, I'm not sure.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Horse

Thank for your replies. This is no tension headache, this lasted over three weeks so far.

I had no eye pain, though for a week there was eye strain using the computer too long. Now that is not a problem. So I don't think it is "angle closure glaucoma".
We'll see what the Doctor makes of it. The whole thing is quite a shock to me.

Thanks!

PS: A Google search on head pain when coughing throws up many links - of which this Mayo Clinic link is one. It describes my symptoms well. But not how I got it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/primary-cough-headaches/basics/definition/con-20024827
Chronic tension headaches can last for at least a couple of weeks. Let us know how you get on at the GP.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think forgetting my sunglasses was not helpful. I literally covered my eyes as best I could with my hands.

Giving such a form would seem a very good idea!!! I was not offered any. I need to know answers to what drops and how much and will be asking that futurely.

There is little room for doubt that the screening event triggered this head pain condition, but what other factors apply, I'm not sure.

Thanks for your input!

Perhaps it could be worth trying to remember to ask them each time you go to write down the name of the drops you were given.

Was nothing said to you in the clsing remarks from the technician about finding your eyes light sensitive and what to do if concerned? As well as that piece of paper, I also receive an A5 (A4 sheet folded to a little booklet) just outlining the procedure. Do you receive anything like that?

Kineton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps it could be worth trying to remember to ask them each time you go to write down the name of the drops you were given.

Was nothing said to you in the clsing remarks from the technician about finding your eyes light sensitive and what to do if concerned? As well as that piece of paper, I also receive an A5 (A4 sheet folded to a little booklet) just outlining the procedure. Do you receive anything like that?

No I was given nothing. Just received a letter confirming the result of the test. (Same as previous years result. i.e No change)

Kineton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been to the doctor. I'm not impressed with his reaction. He'd heard of 'Cough headaches' and said that the med I mentioned that is given for that; 'Indomethecin', was not appropriate for me.

He checked my blood pressure - which on his (Accurate he said) machine was high at 170/80+
I showed him the record of my attendance in a Boots 'Walk-in' centre Which was 142/80
on the 20th August. That cut no ice with him and we agreed I'd start taking a daily med again to lower my BP and come in to get checked in two weeks. He says I should be 130/something

I had been feeling somewhat better this morning so didn't stress I was suffering much. But this afternoon I had a coughing session (Tickly throat) and it was painful.

If I were my own doctor I would have sent me for MRI scans, but no.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I was given nothing. Just received a letter confirming the result of the test. (Same as previous years result. i.e No change)

Was it today you were seeing the Doc, Kineton?

spent808

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ironically I have just returned from having these drops and thought i'd have a quick google...would a dark skin for the forums be too much to ask? :woot:

Reactions: Sally1234