Side Effects of Metformin

Marcus777

Newly diagnosed with Type 2, I was prescribed Metformin (500gm), one tablet a day for a week, and then two after that. Within a few days I started to get very bad hives, particularly at night, and swollen lips in the morning, so I stopped taking it. However I was told it was all in the mind and to have another go. The results were the same. I've now been put on a low dosage Gliclizide tablet (one a day) but am still getting very bad hives, particularly in the early hours of the morning. Has anyone else experienced this and what have they taken to alleviate the symptoms? I am not overweight, eat healthily and do a lot of walking.

neil697

Hi Marcus,
I too have just been put on Metformin from Gliclazide, so I've been doing quite a bit of research recently.

The first thing you read when searching 'Metformin side effects' is this:

Allergic Reaction to Metformin

Some patients may have an allergic reaction to Metformin and it is important to watch out for these allergic reactions since they would need emergency treatment right away. Allergic reaction to Metformin includes difficulty in breathing and hives. Swelling can also be an allergic reaction to Metformin, swelling can happen in the face, lips, throat or tongue.

If I were you, I think it's worth a call to your GP.

Cheers, Neil.

Marcus777

Thanks Neil,
I did go back to the GP, who sent me to the Diabetic Nurse-Manager. She agreed that should stop Metformin, and take a low dosage Gliclizide tablet instead. However I am still getting one of the side effects (hives), but not the swollen lips.