Simvastatin

Lapenny

I have been taking simvastatin for about 10 years now and I have been told that they can cause muscle wastage. Has anyone else experienced this? I can no longer exercise as I am in crippling pain the next day. I am not talking about the normal aching it is an extreme ache.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Statins block the liver's production of LDL, a lipoprotein "bubble". Because fats are insoluble in water, but LDL is, LDL is required to carry fats around the body and deliver them to cells; a sort of fat version of insulin. Although LDL has a stigma attached to it, it carries the so-called essential fatty acids around as well as cholesterol and other fats. Fats are essential to the body's cells - every cell membrane in your body is made from cholesterol (although most cells can make cholesterol themselves) as well as the synapses in your brain.

Therefore, if your LDL is too low then your cells will not function properly. Muscle aches is a textbook symptom that your dose of Statins is too high. Best thing to do is to speak to your doctor who will likely lower your dose.

annew

I was prescribed simvastatin for many years. Twice ended up in A&E as literally could't stand up and severe leg pains and other times could hardly walk. Also had severe leg cramps at night. Did not connect all this with the statin - neither did hosp/GP who could find nothing wrong with my legs - finally decided to stop taking them after reading about the side effects. Things improved almost immediately now do not have any problems with standing/walking (can do eight mile walk easily) and do not have any night cramps. Am 70 years old. Would not ever take any statin again, but that is just my personal opinion based on my own experience.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP and I jointly agreed to change my statins from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin, partly because the simvastatin was not effective at the dose I was on and could not be increased due to the side effects I was suffering (much as you have described). the change to Atorvastatin saw a rapid cessation of all side effects and brought my cholesterol down to a safe level, and with good ratios too.

I have a suspicion that GP's always go for simvastatin first is that Atorvastatin may be more expensive than Simvastatin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thommothebear said:
I have a suspicion that GP's always go for simvastatin first is that Atorvastatin may be more expensive than Simvastatin.

It was the case Thomomothebear but Arorvastin is out of license now:

http://www.mims.co.uk/news/1137651

Funny enough when I was researching statin's after my cholesterol went above 4 some two years ago, from what I read Artorvastatin is well tolerated and works just as well at lowering cholesterol in a smaller dosage than Simvastatin does in a higher dose, I didn't save the text but a Google search should find it if your curious.

dolly2

All same symptoms as annew, so much pain,couldn't walk and ended up in A & E. Hospital told me to go to my doctor as there are other medications they can prescribe as statins did not suit me. Made appointment to see diabetic nurse who told me they allways start you on statins as the NHS have to make savings and thes are cheapest option. As they were making so unwell she went to the GP to ask him to prescribe other medication. Without even seeing or talking to me his answer was to halve the dose of simvastatin. I am now taking nothing!! Had more blood tests today and seeing different GP for results. Dont hold out much hope for any better treatment but live in hope. :roll: