Sitagliptin got me feeling rough..

Jenraven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was first diagnosed in September 13 with a hba1c of 89, when I went back in January it was 85 - so sitagliptin was added to my metformin. since ive started on the new meds (metformin was upped from 3 to 4 tablets too (slow release)) ive been feeling really unwell. ive had days off work. ive been getting bad stomach cramps, headaches, feeling sick, vomiting, dizzy spells..and ummm...general tummy trouble...My boyfriend felt similar to me for a couple of days, and I was really happy haha, cos it made me think that maybe I was just ill and id get better, but its been 8 days now with no let up. I don't know if its the meds, an illness or a mixture of the two. I haven't contacted my dr or stopped taking them cos Id like to give them a chance of working and me maybe get used to them. I don't wanna go crying to my dr and be taken off them if its possible the side effects will stop and the might really help with my high hba1c.
Has anyone else had these side effects with sitagliptin? how long do you think I should persevere? I started on the 6 January and will be having a diabetic review 8 weeks from then.
thanks x

arabia1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i havew been on Januvia (sitagliptin) along with glicazide as I could not stand the Metformin I persevered for over a year and could hardly go anywhere without needing to go to the toilet, so I havent had any ill effects from these, although the gliclazide is now up to three a day I am hoping that my levels come down, the metformin worked for the diabetes but not for me

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Jenraven,

I came off Metformin due to having to be really close to the loo all of the time. I am now on Sitagliptin, as yet I haven't had any problems. I notice that your Metformin has also been increased perhaps that may be the culprit ? Just a though. Hope you feel much better soon. x

Jenraven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i havew been on Januvia (sitagliptin) along with glicazide as I could not stand the Metformin I persevered for over a year and could hardly go anywhere without needing to go to the toilet, so I havent had any ill effects from these, although the gliclazide is now up to three a day I am hoping that my levels come down, the metformin worked for the diabetes but not for me
I was on the quick release metformin and had to change to slow release and I was pretty much ok on it, ive gone from 3 to 4 tablets so its not like ive doubled up on dose but yeah some of the side effects could be the metformin increase. whatever it is, im hoping it ends soon
x

Jenraven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jenraven,

I came off Metformin due to having to be really close to the loo all of the time. I am now on Sitagliptin, as yet I haven't had any problems. I notice that your Metformin has also been increased perhaps that may be the culprit ? Just a though. Hope you feel much better soon. x
thanks, yes it could very well be
x