Skiing in the Alps

Orchid

Hi

I just wanted to share with you a little about our holiday, not to be boastful in any way, but to share a positive (diabetes) experience.

As many of you know we are a family of 4 in which 3 of us are diabetic type 1 myself the mum, two kids boy 15 and girl 10. Dad, non diabetic but has his own health problems (requires total hip replacement ASAP).

We just got back from the French Alps, mum, dad and daughter skiied and son snowboarded. I am telling you this because I know that only you guys (fellow friends with diabetes) will understand the difficulties associated with 3 sets of diabetes on a skiing holiday.

Firstly we were all separated each day, because we were all in different classes. It was difficult to tell the teachers about the kids having diabetes - anyhow, they seemed to understand the word "diabetique" and we showed them the dextrosols in their pockets. The resort was not really an English speaking resort and we don't speak any frech (apart from Bonjour!) :) Everything went ok with the classes, no hypos to report.

As far as diabetes control is concerned we all kept really well, we went out one evening and indulged in a crepe each - shhh don't ell anyone :wink: We all did 3 blood tests a day before breakfast, before tea and before bed. We didn't manage to do lunchtime blood tests because the testing machines wouldn't work when the they were really cold. We ate the same food each day at lunchtime and the before teatime blood tests were all okish, to be honest maybe a slightly higher than usual, but nothing bad.

Fortunately we all got home safely on Saturday with no major incidents to report and no broken bones or any need of medical help during the holiday!

As far as my husbands hip replacement is concerned, he reckons very little pain when skiing, only when walking around. I suggested he take up a skiing career instead :lol: :lol:

Got a lot of reading of threads to do to catch up. :D

Orchid

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very jealous! I love snowboarding but haven't been for the past 2 years. :( As a type 2, the exercise you get snowboarding for 6 or 7 hours a day is fantastic.

Glad to hear there were no hiccups!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad it went well for you, Orchid.
Lots and lots of snow up in Glenshee at the moment so that might be worth a look too?

All the best,

fergus

Orchid

Patch - if you can make it this year - go for it, it has been a great season all over Europe, even Scotland has had the best season for years.

Fergus, thanks, we are going to try to get up to Glenshee soon - hope it doesn't all melt before we get there!

Orchid