spikes

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that a lot of people on here like to test one hour and two hours after eating. I have just been reading on the nutrition forum that apparently non diabetics will spike one hour after eating carbs so surely it`s a given that we will? Is the one hour test as important as the two hour one, and if the spike is harmful to us then is it harmful to a non diabetic as well?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends on the level of the spike I suppose, a non-diabetic with a fully functional pancreas won't see the same bg levels that someone with diabetes would see after eating a high-carb meal, but speaking as a type 1 the one hour levels is important but the 2 hour postprandial reading is more important as this is the time in which the injected insulin would have reached its peak.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on the level of the spike I suppose, a non-diabetic with a fully functional pancreas won't see the same bg levels that someone with diabetes would see after eating a high-carb meal, but speaking as a type 1 the one hour levels is important but the 2 hour postprandial reading is more important as this is the time in which the injected insulin would have reached its peak.
As a type 2 I know how difficult it can be for some of us to get strips, and while I realise that knowledge is never wasted, I think I will limit my testing to early morning fasting and 2 hours after evening meal to try and make my supply of strips last the month. Wouldn`t it be great if we could have an unlimited supply or a cgm, but I suppose that`s just wishful thinking.