Staying at friends overnight

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter aged 12 has type 1 insulin dependent diagnosed just 6 months. She is wanting to stay overnight at a friends house but I don't know her friends parent or if they are up to date on diabetes. My daughter doesn't know herself but maybe this will get her geed up to try and learn. I feel over protective and mean but I wouldn't want to put the responsibility on those parents

elainechi

go and talk to her friends mum.......ask what they are planning for dinner and work out carbs and insulin......tell the mum to watch her give the insulin and blood test before hand....tell her a bit about hypo and what to give.....write it on a post card with your mob nos on it
other wise just skype or phone or text a few times....give it ago and good luck xx

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Elaine you have been very helpful. Rebecca has asked can her friend come to our house and I have agreed and said she can go next time x

elainechi

i bet you wete releived.......encourage her to do her blood in front of her friend and give her insulin.....janes friends look after her most of the time....the odd pkt of sweets are essential for sleepovers i hear!!!!!! xx