Strange meter readings

iainf1

I did a finger prick test this evening before my evening meal and it was 7.4 - similar to yesterday.

Like last night I then went to the gym and spent an hour on the treadmill, then had a swim and used the steam room and sauna.

On return home I did another test. Last night it was 5.9 but tonight it was 8.0. I did another three tests over the next five minutes and got 8.8, 8.7 and 8.5 respectively. Any ideas, anyone?

Liz King

Hi iainf1,

It could be that you pushed yourself a bit further at the gym?? - I have the same problem when running. It seems really unfair after been active to get a high blood sugar - however yours dont seem to be as extreme as mine!! When I spoke to my consultant about this she said it had something else to do with other hormones preparing the body for exercise and the extent and intensity of said exercise, and that these hormones are still working normally and therefore do not make adjustments for insulin diabetics and that we have to control as best we can in relation to the situation presented. I wouldn't worry too much @ bs8, just go ahead and eat as normal, but check before bed in case it has all over corrected and you may be going too low before sleep.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No polite way to ask this, but.....

do you have "fat reserves"

if you do, your body is starting to use them to provide glucose, so it's normally a good sign, and it does improve as you use the reserves, and adjust to it.

If you don't, my deepest apologies, and I'll shut up.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi

i always used to end up higher when exercising, especially when newly diagnosed, are you newly dx or new to exercise? when i was new at this my bgs where insane, it took months to settle down so dont panic and follow the plan it will settle down :) sorry if im assuming stuff

keep exercising its the best medicine for us :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Andy12345 said:
hi

i always used to end up higher when exercising, especially when newly diagnosed, are you newly dx or new to exercise? when i was new at this my bgs where insane, it took months to settle down so dont panic and follow the plan it will settle down :) sorry if im assuming stuff

keep exercising its the best medicine for us :)

It's a good job we've all been there. :oops: