Switched from Tresiba to Lantus

lsrpm1964

I was on Tresiba for 2 years. In my area Tresiba is only available in prefilled disposable pens. Because my daily basal dose is very high, 130 units in the morning, they had me using the 3 ml pens with u-200 units per ml giving me 600 units in a single disposable pen. this means I was going through a disposable pen of Tresiba every 4.6 days. And these u-200 disposable pens are expensive, and I hate the environmental impact of throwing away a pen every 4 to 5 days..

By comparison my bolus insulin is Apidra and I dose based on how many carbs in each meal using the carb ratio method of calculation. Refillable pen and 3 ml cartridges. That part is working fine.

But I have been switched to Lantus recently and was told to do the following for transition.

because Tresiba was ultra long acting and Lantus is only long acting the initial dose was reduced by 20% to start and it was recommended to take the resulting 104 unit daily dose and split it in 2 given 12 hours apart. Then if that basal dose did not do the trick to slowly increase the daily amount.

So I have been doing that for a month. I had to bring the total daily dose up to 130 but am still splitting it in 2 doses 12 hours apart. I do not see my endo for another 2 months.

Not asking for strict medical advise but...... I believe the initial treatment of splitting the total daily dose of basal in 2 equal portions was to mitigate the difference between Tresiba (ultra long acting) and Lantus that is only "up to 24 hours"

Should I continue with the split dosage until I see endo or do most people on Lantus do a single shot each day? if so the refillable pen for Lantus only allows 80 units at max in a single shot so I would have to shoot, then dial a second dose and shoot again so resulting in 2 shots anyway. Unless I find out that Lantus comes in vials.

Would anyone recommend using vials for Lantus as my dosage is so high? I will discuss with endo, just wanting to know opinions