TAKING METFORMIN WITH TYPE 2

LAURA54

I have had type 2 diabetes since 2004, and I am diet only, my hb1c is 6.3 but was 5.6 in 2004, my cholestrol is 4.4 and I take simvasin talbets, bp also ok,and not over weight.
and my GP is pleased with everything.
However my doctor now wants me to take metformin, 500mg 1 to 3 times a day which I was surprised to here.he also says I dont have to test my sugars at home anymore. He seems to think the tablets wil help the sugars,and prevent complications in the future, I have spoken to another doctor and a nurse, who say there is no need for these tablets,at present. but my GP seems to be thinking otherwise. I am of course a bit concerned, with the side effects etc, and wondred if any one , has a GP as insistant as mine?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have been on Metformin since 2003 without any ill effects, but why does your doctor want you to take it if your HbA1cs are good? what are the actual figures and what are your
Bgs? do you test yourself, or are you one of the "discouraged ones"

DiabeticGeek

Metformin is now so much the primary treatment for T2 diabetes, that many doctors seem to find it easier to give you a prescription rather than work with you on your lifestyle. To be fair to them, with many patients this is probably a sensible decision (if their lifestyle is a lost cause). However, it is odd that your doctor wants to do this if your HbA1c is really "fine". What is it? Different people have different views on what is acceptable - maybe your doctor thinks it should be lower. Also, what is the trend in your last few tests? Maybe he is seeing a gradual creep upwards and wants to stop that before it gets worse. Most people tolerate metformin quite well once they get used to it, but it can have side effects - so it isn't a bad aspiration to want to avoid it. However, you should make an informed decision - ask your doctor why he wants to do this.

LAURA54

My gp just says because it help the sugars in the body better, my hb1c is now 6.3 chlorestrol 4.4

DiabeticGeek said:
Metformin is now so much the primary treatment for T2 diabetes, that many doctors seem to find it easier to give you a prescription rather than work with you on your lifestyle. To be fair to them, with many patients this is probably a sensible decision (if their lifestyle is a lost cause). However, it is odd that your doctor wants to do this if your HbA1c is really "fine". What is it? Different people have different views on what is acceptable - maybe your doctor thinks it should be lower. Also, what is the trend in your last few tests? Maybe he is seeing a gradual creep upwards and wants to stop that before it gets worse. Most people tolerate metformin quite well once they get used to it, but it can have side effects - so it isn't a bad aspiration to want to avoid it. However, you should make an informed decision - ask your doctor why he wants to do this.

LAURA54

GP just says it help prevents complications, and wil help in the future, he also says I dont have to test my sugar at home anymore, as test stripes and lancets are very expensive now, and to get it check by the nurse, every three months. my hblc is now 6,3 but was 5.6 in 2004 chlorestrol is 4.4 bp ok :eek:

DiabeticGeek

LAURA54 said:
My gp just says because it help the sugars in the body better, my hb1c is now 6.3 chlorestrol 4.4
I am afraid that I think an HbA1c of 6.3% is a bit high. This suggests that your average BG is very roughly 7.5 mmol/l, and as a rough rule of thumb 7 mmol/l is the cut-off point for damage. In order to completely minimize (or even eliminate) the risk of complications you want to get your HbA1c as close to that of a non-diabetic as possible. Non-diabetics will typically have an HbA1c of around about 5%, or less. Some diabetics manage to get it down to 5%, you should certainly aim to get it under 6% and as close to 5% as possible. Now does this mean you need metformin? Well, 6.3% isn't awful - if it was on a downward trend, then my inclination would be to wait and see how low you can get it without medication. However, if it has bottomed out at 6.3% then your doctor is probably right. You would be much better off on metformin with a much lower HbA1c than you are drug free but with relatively high BG. The side effects of metformin are trivial in comparison with the possible complications caused by a high BG. How good is your diet and exercise? If you are eating more carbs than you were when it was lower - then that is your problem. However, if your lifestyle hasn't slipped then there is a worrying trend upwards that you need to do something about.

LAURA54

MRSA AND DIABETES

Does MRSA affect diabetics? My cat is being treated for mrsa and I am concerned about my health would a GP'S advise be helpfull.

I get painfull legs with movement on the skin, in the morning and evening and if I have been sitting down for a long while, also I get burning and stiffness in my toes at night, some days I get nothing, I wonder if its down to diet or sugar levels. My gp say I dont need to test my bg at home now, and that the lancets and stripes are to expensive, as I am diet only at the moment. :?:

ChocFish

Hi Laura, please go back to your GP and tell him/her that you most certainly do need to test or how else will you find out how the various foods affect your bg levels??? Insist that you do get a supply.

I wonder if your aches and pains are caused by the statins that you are taking or if you have some vitamin/mineral deficiency, sometimes its a lack of magnesium, try soaking your legs/feet in warm water with epsom salts added, this will help absorption of magnesium, see if that helps and make sure you move your legs and toes, wiggle them while you are sitting down, move your feet up and down, walk or cycle, anything to keep the circulation going really well.

I hope you feel better soon

Karen

LAURA54

Re PAINFULL LEGS AND FEET

Thankyou for the advise, I will try the foot soak. I could be the simvasin I take?
My gp is old school as they say, he wanted me to take Metforim,and said testing at home was a waist of time, as it wouldnt mean anyhtiing to me. And the nurse I see every 3 months or so should test my bg, this I think is rather strange as one test would not show anything as far as food goes.I have spoken to another gp at the surgery who has a totally diferent out look and says I should see what my nest hba1c test show before taking the tablets, I know they cant be avoided. an will have to take them some time, but I am not keen to take them untill I have too

ChocFish

Well yes it is possible to control diabetes with diet and exercise alone, not everyone though and if you do have medication then do not feel guilty or a failure.

The best chance you have is by going low carb, but before you do that, get hold of the book by Dr Bernstein, The Diabetes Solution, you will find this book will become your bible.

And yes it is possible that statins are giving you those strange aches and pains, search for posts by IanD, he has posted on this issue a few times.

Karen x