Tested positive for covid and hba1c due soon.

gowest12

Oh I have posted here quite a few times earlier in the year as I was diagnosed prediabetic 2 years ago with hba1c of 42 and my doctor sent me on a nhs course and I got it down to 35 this year in February a year later by going low carb. I was happy with that but couldn’t figure it out as I was getting higher readings when I tested my own fasting sugars with a finger prick in the morning. Now I’ve been texted to get the hba1c done soon but I am petrified becsuse I came down with covid yesterday and I’ve been checking my blood sugars but they appear higher!!!!! This morning I had 6.0 and this afternoon before I had lunch it was 6.6! I’ve got a sore throat runny nose headache feel awful could this be why it’s looking higher despite sticking to low carb??? Should I delay a few months before doing a hba1c??? Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: aylalake and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Covid could increase blood glucose levels for a while, just as any illness can. Your HbA1c is a measure of approximately what has been going on over last 3 months, approximately. So you could find that HbA1c isn’t too badly impacted . In your situation, I would just wait until the covid infection clears, and then if HbA1c is due , go ahead and have the test. To wait longer than necessary would only have me wondering, perhaps even worrying, too much about the unknown.
Hope you are not too badly hit with the covid symptoms. Get well soon @gowest12

gowest12

Covid could increase blood glucose levels for a while, just as any illness can. Your HbA1c is a measure of approximately what has been going on over last 3 months, approximately. So you could find that HbA1c isn’t too badly impacted . In your situation, I would just wait until the covid infection clears, and then if HbA1c is due , go ahead and have the test. To wait longer than necessary would only have me wondering, perhaps even worrying, too much about the unknown.
Hope you are not too badly hit with the covid symptoms. Get well soon @gowest12
Thankyou yes I think once it’s over I will get the hba1c test done just to see where I am! I’m hoping the covid doesn’t affect it too much.

• Winner
  • Optimistic
Reactions: aylalake and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou yes I think once it’s over I will get the hba1c test done just to see where I am! I’m hoping the covid doesn’t affect it too much.
Not sure if it helps for me to tell you that after my covid infection in September, my HbA1c dropped by several points. Despite me being able to eat not much apart from toast and bananas for 6 weeks.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Oh I have posted here quite a few times earlier in the year as I was diagnosed prediabetic 2 years ago with hba1c of 42 and my doctor sent me on a nhs course and I got it down to 35 this year in February a year later by going low carb. I was happy with that but couldn’t figure it out as I was getting higher readings when I tested my own fasting sugars with a finger prick in the morning. Now I’ve been texted to get the hba1c done soon but I am petrified becsuse I came down with covid yesterday and I’ve been checking my blood sugars but they appear higher!!!!! This morning I had 6.0 and this afternoon before I had lunch it was 6.6! I’ve got a sore throat runny nose headache feel awful could this be why it’s looking higher despite sticking to low carb??? Should I delay a few months before doing a hba1c??? Thanks
Personally I would wait as you will infect others, but the hba1c is tested for the previous 3 months so I wouldn't have thought it would impact the result. I would wait. Hope you feel better soon x

Reactions: gowest12 and jjraak

gowest12

Personally I would wait as you will infect others, but the hba1c is tested for the previous 3 months so I wouldn't have thought it would impact the result. I would wait. Hope you feel better soon x
Thankyou. Yes I think I’m going to wait now till after Christmas as it will take a week or so I guess to become negative.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71