Testing Strips

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just run out and went to the local chemist. 60 Euros for 50 :eek: Is that the normal price?....I am going to the UK Saturday so get some there..

In Italy if you are T1 you get free if T2 tough you pay for everything

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Test strips from retail pharmacies are too expensive.
i buy direct from Abbott Diabetes Care. they charge about £15 per pack of strips, which includes first class postage. It's worth having a Freestyle meter just for Abbott's brillant customer service.
hana

Unbeliever

hanadr said:
i buy direct from Abbott Diabetes Care. they charge about £15 per pack of strips, which includes first class postage. It's worth having a Freestyle meter just for Abbott's brillant customer service.
hana
I get mine from Spirit Healthcare £12.50 for 50 free postage , generally next day delivery. Superb Customer Service.

if anyone is forced to but strips over the counter make sure you don't pay VAT . Unfortumnately this is not likely to apply to Davide.

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
hanadr said:
hana

Have to agree with you Abbott are brill, I was on to them yesterday as I think my prescription for strips might be stopped, apparently its not all that useful to keep testing :|

Terminator 2

hanadr said:
hana

You got a direct link to the Abbott Diabetes Care online shop hana? I was looking the other day and never found it, just curious.

Unbeliever

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
susanmanley said:
I went for some yesterday
£27+ for 50 in uk
I bought some today and they were the same price ... the girl in the chemist said a lot of people get them on prescription but I assume they are type 1?
No some type 2s - those on insulin , those on hypo-inducing medications and those who can persuade their doctors that they neeed them get them on precscription too. I do myself. I was diagnosed when they were habnded out like sweeties ..

I still take a small amount of hypo -inducing med , But because of my eye prolems it is essential for me to keep my bgs stable/
I feel very strongly that all T2s should be given the opportunity to test and the idea of T1s being resriced -as some have been - fills me with absolute horror.
As my own little contribution- or so I hope it is- I ask for the very minimum number of srips from my doctor- just to keep the idea of T" esting alive {the younger GPs do not approve} and I buy many more myself.

SouthernGeneral6512

I think it's a huge help to be able to test yourself to see how you are reacting to your diet and exercise.

I asked my doctor last week about a prescription for them but she just said we prefer to test you every few months

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Hi Termimator

Here is the info for Abbott, WWW.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk phone No. 0500467466.

I find them very helpful, they gave me a second meter so i would never be without one. They replace old or faulty equipment. and strips if you have to buy your own are £15.16 tub of 50. They provide a log book for readings and software for PC for keeping a track of BS all free, They also have a new meter which monitors BG and calculates how much insulin you require which is given through the diabetes nurse, free.

I hope this info is useful for you. kate :thumbup:

Terminator 2

Cheers Kate,

I see the error of my ways, your page was different, I was looking at the .com :oops:

Fearing an impending blanket ban on prescribing strips for T2's I was looking to bookmark it, your £15.16 a 50 tub is my kind of price :D I dissed my Freestyle Lite meter at first but it was me and my initial paranoia to blame, the meter is fairly consistent and has since earned my respect :thumbup:

Unbeliever

Terminator 2 said:
Cheers Kate,

I see the error of my ways, your page was different, I was looking at the .com :oops:

Fearing an impending blanket ban on prescribing strips for T2's I was looking to bookmark it, your £15.16 a 50 tub is my kind of price :D I dissed my Freestyle Lite meter at first but it was me and my initial paranoia to blame, the meter is fairly consistent a
nd has since earned my respect :thumbup:

ISpirit Healthcare's £12 .75 for a tub of 50 seems good to me too as stated above. Of course you have to have the meter but i got mine for free and reently another for a friend. No I am not on commission!

I am however impressed by their customer service. Even if I email ou of hours I get an immediate answer from someone's iphone.