Thailand prescription

Wenty17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, not sure if anyone can help. I am currently in Thailand on holiday from England and I have had to stay longer. I had packed extra medication incase but my last Freestyle Libre I have put on has bled from the outer centre and not working. I have got another week here and wondering is it possible to get another one here through pharmacies or through my doctors back home somehow or if I will just need to buy a new one. I have lived 25 years without a libre however am very reliant on it now and especially in this heat not being able to spot if sweaty from being low or the heat
Many thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, not sure if anyone can help. I am currently in Thailand on holiday from England and I have had to stay longer. I had packed extra medication incase but my last Freestyle Libre I have put on has bled from the outer centre and not working. I have got another week here and wondering is it possible to get another one here through pharmacies or through my doctors back home somehow or if I will just need to buy a new one. I have lived 25 years without a libre however am very reliant on it now and especially in this heat not being able to spot if sweaty from being low or the heat
Many thanks
Hi there. I am in Thailand too, with another 4 weeks to go. I hope you've had a great time and are staying longer for positive reasons.

I don't know whether pharmacies will have the Libre, but there's nothing to stop you asking. In my experience, even in little pharmacies, the in-house pharmacist usually speaks good English, however, if I want something I tend to have prepared a page on my phone to demonstrate. For example, I needed some cream fr an irritating rash (I know,... Yes. I did.), which I have had before, but hadn't brought the prescribed (ages ago) tube of cream, but just got the name of it, and it's details from my repeat and looked it up. He did a bit of clicking around and offered me a very similar alternative which is doing the trick.

As you likely know, diabetes is a bit issue in these parts, so you may be in luck.

In your shoes, I'd start out at the biggest pharmacy in your town/village and go from there. If you are in Bangkok or anywhere with a university training Docs, there will almost certainly be a comprehensive pharmacy there.

Roughly where are you?

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77

Wenty17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh perfect thanks so much for your helpful reply sadly not for positive reasons but could be in worse places so silver lining and all that! We are in Bangkok in the city centre have tried the pharmacy round the corner a small one but she didn’t speak very good English and when showing her the libre online did not have a clue as asked for anywhere else local. Will have a look comprehensive pharmacy then whatever that is haha. Thanks so much for your help and hope you are enjoying Thailand too and have no issues like me!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh perfect thanks so much for your helpful reply sadly not for positive reasons but could be in worse places so silver lining and all that! We are in Bangkok in the city centre have tried the pharmacy round the corner a small one but she didn’t speak very good English and when showing her the libre online did not have a clue as asked for anywhere else local. Will have a look comprehensive pharmacy then whatever that is haha. Thanks so much for your help and hope you are enjoying Thailand too and have no issues like me!
Try the university pharmacy.

A couple of years ago, for reasons I'll spare you, I needed some Liothyronine (thyroid meds - actually, one of the few things not commonly available here), which I eventually got, but was advised the university hospital pharmacy was likely my best bet.

We've had a bit of upset this time around too, requiring several trips to the local hospital (not me), all appointments, except the first one, but hopefully things are well on the med now. I've just had to unleash my inner Florence Nightingale. :)

I hope you can have a comfortable last few days and get what you need.

(I don't know about Bangkok, but down on the Gulf of Thailand, it has been our hottest day so far, at 34, but feels like 41c.