Time off for starting on pump

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just started the process of getting a pump.

Mentioned it to my official line manager, sounding him out about getting the time off for training sessions, explaining I'd have little influence over the timing, etc. At that stage, I didn't know how the training and early monitoring would be done, eg a full or half day training, another half day on starting live pumping, etc.

He said it could go down as sickness or I could use annual leave.

More than 2 bouts of sickness in a year and you're in trouble, so I don't want starting the pump to count against me. I've just started my contract and discussed that I was getting a pump with the Occ Health nurse before I was appointed. There haven't been any problems while I've worked there through an agency, my immediate supervisor is fine about it and knows I don't usually have bad hypos (obviously there's more risk of this when I start pumping).

I've clarified with the DSN that it'll be a 2-hr info/decision session, then 1.5-2hrs training, then 1-1.5 hr weekly reviews for the first few weeks of pumping. No full or half days absence required unless I hit trouble.

I feel it's a bit rough to make me use annual leave or make up the time for these sessions. Don't think sick leave is even an option if its 1-2 hours at a time, but it may add up to more than a day. Occ Health say its at the manager's discretion. I feel its the new boss trying to crack down, but where do I stand, bearing in mind it's treatment for a chronic condition covered by DDA which I had before appointment? How did others account for any time out when they started pumping?

spideog

Not sure what the official line is on requirements for getting time off, but my previous employers have always been very good and just let me go when I needed to with no taking sick days or holidays. I did just leave work for the most of the afternoon today to go for my initial pump setup and am now pumping saline, then will be taking next Monday afternoon off as well for the switch to insulin.

Luckily I'm now the boss though so getting time off isn't so much of a problem. :lol:
Sorry can't help with what the rules are for what your owed are though.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I'm currently having time off ffrom getting an insulin pump,

the initial apointment lasted 2 hours, my work gave me the whole day as an appointment day.

i chose to take the remaining 4 days off so i was free if anything went wrong or i felt poorly etc, just as luck has it it's all going well and i probably could have come back to work the day after!!

But im enjoying my time off anyway.

i guess it all depends on your company policies on sickness and how generous they are!

becki

Hi

I have just started too, and have had time off which I have been made to take as sick leave, although worth looking into re dda, Bear in mind things like when you begin fasting to check basal rates, how will you be at work when your fasting, or if you have to do an unplanned set change how will they feel/ go about letting you do this.

Also you need time to sit and look at patterns that might be occurring. my dsn is really good and texts me regularly to see how i'm going.

Just a few things that I have had happen that are worth considering just so you have all infot o hand if you need it

becki

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The company I work for allocated my time to:

• Pre-booked sickness for the week I was off work when the pump was fitted
    Doctor's appointment for the training sessions

Sam.

sugar2

Again...not sure of the officail postition...but I used flexi time. I had a morning demo session and another mroning hook up session, and then nothing for 6 months...so just used my flexitimme to cover this. I do have a great boss, and he know that I work extra hours all the time, especially when required, so, he lets me go to appointments no problem...it is all give and take.

I was lucky enough to go n a dafne style course a few years ago...and took that as holiday, as I would rather do that than take it as sick.Personal choice though!

sugar2

Didn't take, and didn't need any time off after the fitting...was back at work that afternoon...althoughobviosuly I did do a lot of BG tests, and I have teh kind of job where this is easy to do...if I were a teacher or something...then I would have taken teh rest ofthe day off too.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't intend to take any time off work such as the day after starting pumping. At work with other people around including doctors and nurses nearby etc, I'd feel safer than at home alone. I've explained to my supervisors that the safest place during a hypo is to stay put (not send me home on the bus)! Don't foresee any problems with leaving the office/ringing DSNs if I ran into problems. I've already started banking flexihours in case I want to leave work early due to tiredness from hypos/night-time tests etc.
My question was more about the time for planned training, regular reviews in the early weeks etc.